LaBarbera backstops Coyotes over CanucksMar 19, 2011 - 5:42 AM
Radim Vrbata, Shane Doan and Lee Stempniak scored goals in the third period for the Coyotes, who have won five straight to move one point back of San Jose for the top spot in the Pacific Division and third in the Western Conference.
"I haven't played a whole lot lately," said LaBarbera. "I just had to focus and I just wanted to contribute and give the guys a chance to win tonight."
Christian Ehrhoff lit the lamp for the Canucks, who have already clinched the Northwest Division and sit atop the NHL standings with 103 points, nine ahead of Philadelphia, Washington and Detroit. Roberto Luongo stopped 26-of-28 shots in the loss.
"I thought it was a good game and we played really hard," said Luongo. "He (LaBarbera) has played real good for them. It would have been nice to come away with two points but that doesn't happen every game."
Neither side scored through the first 40 minutes as LaBarbera stopped 28 shots and Luongo made 20 saves.
Phoenix finally broke the shutout on the power play with 6:29 to play. Eric Belanger attempted a pass from the right circle, but it hit off the skate of a Canuck. However, it sat in front and Vrbata was able to backhand it in for the lead.
Just over a minute later, Phoenix tallied another power-play goal as Vrbata's slap shot from the right point was tipped in by Doan.
Vancouver cut its deficit to one with 2:58 to play when Ehrhoff jammed the puck in as LaBarbera was attempting to cover up a shot. But Stempniak put the puck into the empty net with 1:05 to play to seal the win.
Vancouver hits the road for its next four games starting on Wednesday in Detroit...Phoenix hosts Chicago on Sunday...These teams split the season series for the fourth straight year...Phoenix was 2-for-7 on the power play while Vancouver went 0-for-5.
- PHOENIX: 3
Mar 19 12:30 AM
- Phoenix Goal - Lee Stempniak (17), from Eric Belanger at 18:55.
Coyotes 3, Canucks 1 3rd - 1:05Mar 19 12:25 AM
- Vancouver Goal - Christian Ehrhoff (11), at 17:02.
Coyotes 2, Canucks 1 3rd - 2:58Mar 19 12:23 AM
- Phoenix Power-Play Goal - Shane Doan (18), at 14:49.
Coyotes 2, Canucks 0 3rd - 5:11Mar 19 12:19 AM
- Phoenix Power-Play Goal - Radim Vrbata (18), from Eric Belanger and Shane Doan at 13:31.
Coyotes 1, Canucks 0 3rd - 6:29Mar 19 12:17 AM
- PHOENIX: 0
End of 2nd
Mar 18 11:32 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
End of 1st
Mar 18 10:41 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 18 10:08 PM
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- Hockey sticks no longer one size fits all Apr 21
- Canucks sign goalie Thatcher Demko to entry-level contract Apr 20
- Phoenix mayor wants shared arena for Suns, Coyotes Apr 19
- Coyotes to buy Springfield Falcons, move AHL club to Tucson Apr 19
- Canucks sign North Dakota defenseman Troy Stecher Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Arizona Coyotes fire GM Don Maloney Apr 11