Isles end skid, beat Panthers in SOMar 20, 2011 - 2:44 AM
Frans Nielsen picked up the winner, ending the first round of the session by scoring on the forehand, but Nielsen deked Scott Clemmensen and snuck his shot by the home netminder to complete the second round and end the game.
Parenteau, Micheal Haley and Michael Grabner tallied in regulation for the Islanders, who put a three-game losing skid to rest.
Rick DiPietro, making his first appearance since February 2, stopped 29 shots in the first 65 minutes then both Florida shootout tries. The 29-year-old earned his first win since January 15.
Evgeny Dadonov lit the lamp twice for the Panthers, losers in eight of their last 11. Clemmensen made just 18 saves in defeat.
Grabner put the Islanders on the board just after the five-minute mark of the second period on a wrister up the slot for his 30th of the season, this one a shorthanded tally. But Dadonov equalized at 11:18 and pulled the Panthers ahead at 17:28.
Parenteau pulled New York even at 7:09 of the third period after taking a cross-ice pass from Jack Hillen, and Haley followed with a shot between Clemmensen's pads on a rush up the right side to give the visitors a one-goal edge at 9:50.
Stephen Weiss drew the Panthers even with 6:34 on the clock, and Florida's David Booth was dragged down on a partial breakaway with 28.9 seconds left in overtime, but missed the net wide to the left on his penalty shot.
The Islanders improved to 4-5 in shootouts this season and the Panthers fell to 4-5...Each team won two games in the season series, winning once at home and once on the road...Clemmensen and DiPietro squared off in their college days with the former a junior at Boston College and the latter a freshman at rival Boston University during the 1999-2000 season.
- NEW YORK: 4
Final - 2OT
Mar 19 9:36 PM
- NEW YORK: 3
End of OT
Mar 19 9:31 PM
- NEW YORK: 3
End of Regulation
Mar 19 9:22 PM
- Florida Goal - Stephen Weiss (21), from Niclas Bergfors and Sergei Samsonov at 13:26.
Islanders 3, Panthers 3 3rd - 6:34Mar 19 9:08 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Micheal Haley (2), at 9:50.
Islanders 3, Panthers 2 3rd - 10:10Mar 19 9:01 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - P.A. Parenteau, at 7:09.
Islanders 2, Panthers 2 3rd - 12:51Mar 19 8:56 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 19 8:30 PM
- Florida Goal - Evgeni Dadonov (6), at 17:28.
Islanders 1, Panthers 2 2nd - 2:32Mar 19 8:24 PM
- Florida Goal - Evgeni Dadonov (5), from Clay Wilson and David Booth at 11:18.
Islanders 1, Panthers 1 2nd - 8:42Mar 19 8:15 PM
- NY Islanders Short-Handed Goal - Michael Grabner (30), from Frans Nielsen at 5:14.
Islanders 1, Panthers 0 2nd - 14:46Mar 19 8:05 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Mar 19 7:40 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 19 7:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7