Lightning continue to slump, lose to Sens in OTMar 20, 2011 - 4:59 AM
Nick Foligno netted the equalizer late in the third period for the Senators, who continued to play spoiler in the Eastern Conference playoff race.
While dead last in the conference, Ottawa beat the playoff-hopeful New Jersey Devils on Thursday. Saturday's victory was a setback for the Lightning, who are in a fight for the Southeast Division lead and playoff seeding.
But the loss was just the latest for a slumping Tampa Bay club that has dropped eight of 10 since March began.
Curtis McElhinney made 35 saves, including five in overtime, for Ottawa, while Ryan Shannon also scored.
"Pretty gritty win for us," Spezza said. "Come back like that in the third period, get the win in overtime. Definitely a good feeling right now."
Dwayne Roloson turned aside 31 shots in the loss.
Ottawa faced a 2-0 deficit entering the third period, following Vincent Lecavalier's first-period tally and Dana Tyrell's marker in the second.
But the Senators got one of the goals back with 7:33 remaining, when Shannon scored during a Lightning power play.
Ottawa then applied lots of pressure in the Lightning end after Shannon's goal, forcing Roloson to make several sudden saves, and broke through with 3:55 to play.
Zack Smith took a sharp-angle shot from the right side of the ice, and Foligno re-directed it into the net. McElhinney stopped all 10 shots he faced in the final period to help send the game to overtime.
Late in the extra session, Tampa Bay worked to keep the puck in the zone and began to set up its attack at the point. But Ottawa intercepted the disc, leading to an odd-man rush and Spezza's winning tip-in.
"It's tough [to lose] obviously. We needed two points," Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman said.
The teams combined to go 0-for-5 on the power play...The Lightning finished a four-game road trip with a 1-0-3 mark...Erik Karlsson had two assists for Ottawa.
- TAMPA BAY: 2
Final - OT
Mar 19 9:44 PM
- Ottawa Goal - Jason Spezza, at 3:27.
Lightning 2, Senators 3 OT - 1:33Mar 19 9:44 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 2
End of Regulation
Mar 19 9:37 PM
- Ottawa Goal - Nick Foligno (12), at 16:05.
Lightning 2, Senators 2 3rd - 3:55Mar 19 9:31 PM
- Ottawa Short-Handed Goal - Ryan Shannon (9), from Erik Condra at 12:27.
Lightning 2, Senators 1 3rd - 7:33Mar 19 9:23 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 2
End of 2nd
Mar 19 8:45 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Adam Hall (8), at 7:42.
Lightning 2, Senators 0 2nd - 12:18Mar 19 8:20 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 1st
Mar 19 7:49 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Vincent Lecavalier (19), at 6:32.
Lightning 1, Senators 0 1st - 13:28Mar 19 7:23 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 19 7:15 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17