Bruins clinch playoff spot with win over FlyersMar 28, 2011 - 3:11 AM
Nathan Horton also tallied with the man advantage for Boston, which has won three of its last four games. Tim Thomas made 11 of his 27 saves in the third period for the Bruins, who lead the Northeast Division by seven points over the Montreal Canadiens.
"It is nice to know when you're in the playoffs with more than just one or two games before the end of the season," said Boston head coach Claude Julien. "Right now, the challenge is to not get too comfortable. We have to build momentum heading into the playoffs and show some consistency in our game."
Kris Versteeg had the lone goal for the Eastern Conference-leading Flyers, who failed to register at least a point for the first time in 10 games (5-1-4). Brian Boucher stopped 34 shots in defeat.
Philadelphia is two points ahead of Pittsburgh for first place in the Atlantic Division with one game in hand. The Flyers visit the Penguins on Tuesday.
Philadelphia captain Mike Richards caught Boston defenseman Tomas Kaberle with a high stick with 4:27 remaining in the third period. Boucher was able to stop Dennis Seidenberg's wrister through traffic, but Marchand banged home the rebound with 3:43 to play.
"It was a point shot, got through some traffic. I got my glove on it and the rebound when up to (Marchand), hit him in the chest, and landed right on his forehand. It was a gift for him," Boucher said of the winning goal.
The Flyers pulled Boucher for an extra skater down the stretch, but failed to net an equalizer.
Versteeg converted a pass from Richards at the side of the net to give Philadelphia a 1-0 lead at the 4:45 mark of the first period.
Following a faceoff win by David Krejci, Horton buried the rebound of a Kaberle shot to tie things up at 7:40 of the middle stanza.
Mark Recchi picked up the secondary assist on Marchand's goal. Recchi tied Paul Coffey for 12th place on the NHL's all-time points list with 1,531...Boston took three of four from Philadelphia in the season series.
- BOSTON: 2
Mar 27 9:32 PM
- Boston Power-Play Goal - Brad Marchand (20), at 16:17.
Bruins 2, Flyers 1 3rd - 3:43Mar 27 9:23 PM
- BOSTON: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 27 8:36 PM
- Boston Power-Play Goal - Nathan Horton (23), from Tomas Kaberle and David Krejci at 7:40.
Bruins 1, Flyers 1 2nd - 12:20Mar 27 8:16 PM
- BOSTON: 0
End of 1st
Mar 27 7:47 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Kris Versteeg (22), from Mike Richards at 4:45.
Bruins 0, Flyers 1 1st - 15:15Mar 27 7:16 PM
- BOSTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 27 7:08 PM
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar are Selke Trophy finalists Apr 28
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 23