Worst beats first as Oilers upend CanucksApr 3, 2011 - 7:49 AM
"It feels good," said Edmonton forward Andrew Cogliano, who had two assists in the surprise victory. "(But) it's small consolation for the season we're having."
Jordan Eberle, Linus Omark and Kurtis Foster all scored a goal and tallied an assist for the Oilers, who snapped a season long 11-game losing streak. Magnus Paajarvi also lit the lamp in the win.
Alexandre Burrows was the sole offense for the Canucks, who had a five-game win streak halted. Cory Schneider allowed four goals on 34 shots in the losing effort.
Edmonton took control of the game with three straight goals through two periods.
The first came on Foster's left-point blast that ricocheted off both posts before crossing the line with 3:14 left in the opening period on the power play.
Eberle tallied another power-play goal just under three minutes into the second to go up 2-0. The Oilers finished out the three-goal rally on an Omark one-timer from Teemu Hartikainen's cross-ice pass.
Vancouver got on the board when Burrows skated into the right side of the zone and wristed a shot that went between Dubnyk's legs.
Edmonton, though, answered back midway through the third to go up 4-1. Omark set up the goal from behind the net where he fed Paajarvi's wrister that sailed high past Schneider.
Vancouver had taken the previous four meetings this season, outscoring Edmonton 15-7...The Oilers were 2-for-3 on the power play, while Vancouver failed to score on four advantages.
- EDMONTON: 4
Apr 3 12:39 AM
- EDMONTON: 4
3rd Period - 9:37
Oilers 4, Canucks 1 3rd - 9:37Apr 3 12:20 AM
- EDMONTON: 3
End of 2nd
Apr 2 11:47 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Alexandre Burrows (25), from Henrik Sedin and Kevin Bieksa at 15:20.
Oilers 3, Canucks 1 2nd - 4:40Apr 2 11:39 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Linus Omark (5), from Teemu Hartikainen and Andrew Cogliano at 9:59.
Oilers 3, Canucks 0 2nd - 10:01Apr 2 11:27 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Jordan Eberle (18), at 2:53.
Oilers 2, Canucks 0 2nd - 17:07Apr 2 11:15 PM
- EDMONTON: 1
End of 1st
Apr 2 10:52 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Kurtis Foster (7), at 16:46.
Oilers 1, Canucks 0 1st - 3:14Apr 2 10:48 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 2 10:16 PM
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Canucks sign goalie Thatcher Demko to entry-level contract Apr 20
- Canucks sign North Dakota defenseman Troy Stecher Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Sharks look to forget past playoff collapse against Kings Apr 11