Vanek's hat trick gives Buffalo big winApr 6, 2011 - 4:39 AM
The win gives Buffalo 92 points and the team has moved into seventh place in the Eastern Conference, a point ahead of the Rangers and a point back of the Canadiens. The Rangers had off on Tuesday while the Canadiens clinched a playoff berth with a win over the Blackhawks.
Tim Connolly had a goal and two assists and Jason Pominville added two helpers for the Sabres, who have won three of their last four. Jhonas Enroth stopped 23 shots.
"We did a good job of limiting our turnovers cause they're a team that thrives off of that," said Connolly. "We're playing as a group and we're playing as a team out there and are moving things in the right direction."
Vincent Lecavalier and Ryan Malone each had a goal for the Lightning, who came into the contest with a five-game winning streak. Dwayne Roloson stopped 20 shots in the loss.
"We were missing the net and didn't shoot when we were in the offensive zone so it's our fault that we lost," said Tampa Bay head coach Guy Boucher. "And it helps them that they have a goaltender that is playing well."
Tampa Bay currently sits in the fifth spot in the Eastern Conference and trails Pittsburgh, which won on Tuesday, by three points. The Lightning will finish the season in either the fourth or fifth spot.
Malone scored off a tip in of a Mike Lundin right point shot at the 13:53 mark of the first, but Vanek got his first of the night three minutes later on the power play off a tip of a Pominville one-timer.
Vanek gave his team a 2-1 lead eight minutes into the second went he lifted in a backhand from in front of the net.
Connolly made it a 3-1 contest with 6:14 left in the middle frame on a rush play as he snapped a wrister into the net from the right circle for his 13th goal of the season.
Tampa made it a one-goal game just 17 seconds into the third off a Buffalo turnover in its own end that saw Lecavalier finish the play with a wrister from the high slot.
Buffalo, though, was able to keep from giving up the equalizer and Vanek recorded his first hat trick of the season and seventh of his career in the final moments of the contest.
Buffalo has a home game against Philly on Friday and a road game in Columbus on Saturday to conclude its regular season...The Lightning play at home versus Florida on Friday and in Carolina on Saturday before the start of the playoffs...These teams split the four-game series this season...Vanek has 31 goals on the season.
- TAMPA BAY: 2
Apr 5 9:31 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Thomas Vanek (31), at 19:46.
Lightning 2, Sabres 4 3rd - 0:14Apr 5 9:27 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Vincent Lecavalier (22), from Martin St. Louis and Teddy Purcell at :17.
Lightning 2, Sabres 3 3rd - 19:43Apr 5 8:55 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 2nd
Apr 5 8:38 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
2nd Period - 6:14
Lightning 1, Sabres 3 2nd - 6:14Apr 5 8:28 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Thomas Vanek (30), from Jason Pominville and Tim Connolly at 8:00.
Lightning 1, Sabres 2 2nd - 12:00Apr 5 8:19 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 1st
Apr 5 7:41 PM
- Buffalo Power-Play Goal at 16:45.
Lightning 1, Sabres 1 1st - 3:15Apr 5 7:34 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Ryan Malone (13), at 13:53.
Lightning 1, Sabres 0 1st - 6:07Apr 5 7:26 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 5 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17