Rangers end skid with win over PensFeb 14, 2011 - 1:26 AM
Vinny Prospal, Brian Boyle and Artem Anisimov all scored for the Rangers, who snapped a season-high six-game losing streak. Henrik Lundqvist made 26 saves in the win.
"We really stepped up especially with our power play," said Lundqvist. "I think we moved the puck really well, and we were shooting the puck and getting deflections. We kept it simple. It was fun to see what we were working on this past week work out. Tonight, we created chances and scored goals, and I think everyone fed off of that."
Deryk Engelland, Brett Sterling and Nick Johnson each had a goal for the Penguins, who have dropped four of their last five. Marc-Andre Fleury stopped 26 shots in defeat.
Before the game, Pittsburgh owner Mario Lemieux released a statement blasting the NHL for its handling of the disciplinary action stemming from Friday's mess against the New York Islanders.
The game saw 10 ejections, 15 fighting majors and 20 misconducts along with 346 penalty minutes. The penalty minutes were the most in a game since the Ottawa Senators and Philadelphia Flyers combined for an NHL-record 419 on March 5, 2004.
Pittsburgh forward Eric Godard received an automatic 10-game suspension because he left the bench to join a fight between New York forward Micheal Haley and Penguins goaltender Brent Johnson.
New York forward Trevor Gillies was suspended for nine games and Matt Martin was hit with a four-game ban while the team was given a $100,000 fine.
The game was 2-2 after the first period, but the Rangers took the lead 1:34 into the middle frame as Brandon Dubinsky sent a short pass from the left side to the front where Prospal swept it home.
On the power play, the Rangers made it a 4-2 contest as a shot by Callahan at the top of the left circle hit off the stick of Pittsburgh's Kris Letang and went in with 8:56 left in the second.
A bit over four minutes later, New York got another goal on the power play as a hard shot from Mats Zuccarello at the right side saw the rebound kick out front where Anisimov banged it home.
The Pens got one back 5:12 into the third on the power play when a turnaround shot from Sterling in the slot floated over Lundqvist.
Pittsburgh was given another power play a few minutes later, but was unable to cut any further into its deficit.
Engelland got credit for a goal that hit off of him 2:06 in and Johnson's wrister on the fly hit off the glove of Lundqvist and trickled in exactly three minutes later to give the Pens a quick 2-0 lead.
However, Boyle scored 37 seconds after the Johnson goal on Callahan's deflection of a Marc Staal shot tied the game on the power play at the 9:20 mark of the first.
The Rangers host the Kings on Thursday...The Pens continue their four-game road trip in Colorado on Wednesday...New York has taken three of the five games with Pittsburgh this season. The teams will meet in Pittsburgh on March 20 in the final regular season contest between the two...The Rangers went 3- for-6 on the power play while Pittsburgh was just 1-for-6.
- PITTSBURGH: 3
NEW YORK: 5
Feb 13 5:28 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - Brett Sterling (2), at 5:12.
Penguins 3, Rangers 5 3rd - 14:48Feb 13 5:05 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 2
NEW YORK: 5
End of 2nd
Feb 13 4:42 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Artem Anisimov, at 15:23.
Penguins 2, Rangers 5 2nd - 4:37Feb 13 4:33 PM
- NY Rangers Power-Play Goal - Ryan Callahan (14), at 11:04.
Penguins 2, Rangers 4 2nd - 8:56Feb 13 4:24 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Vinny Prospal (2), from Marian Gaborik and Brandon Dubinsky at 1:34.
Penguins 2, Rangers 3 2nd - 18:26Feb 13 4:07 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 2
NEW YORK: 2
End of 1st
Feb 13 3:48 PM
- NY Rangers Power-Play Goal - Dan Girardi (4), at 9:20.
Penguins 2, Rangers 2 1st - 10:40Feb 13 3:26 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Brian Boyle (19), at 5:43.
Penguins 2, Rangers 1 1st - 14:17Feb 13 3:19 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Nick Johnson, at 5:06.
Penguins 2, Rangers 0 1st - 14:54Feb 13 3:16 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Deryk Engelland (3), at 2:06.
Penguins 1, Rangers 0 1st - 17:54Feb 13 3:12 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 13 3:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17