Red Wings edge Coyotes for 2-0 series leadApr 16, 2011 - 10:02 PM
Tomas Holmstrom sauntered through the low slot and redirected Valtteri Filppula's shot over Phoenix goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov to give Detroit a seemingly comfortable 4-0 lead 71 seconds into the second period.
But the Coyotes responded with three straight power-play goals -- the latter two by captain Shane Doan in a 2:48 span during the third period -- to pull within a goal.
After Radim Vrbata put Phoenix on the board in the middle stanza, Doan staked a claim in front of the crease and backhanded the rebound of a Keith Yandle shot behind Detroit's Jimmy Howard at 5:49.
Doan then drove Yandle's return feed past Howard from between the circles with a few seconds left on a 5-on-3.
Phoenix pulled Bryzgalov late in the frame, but couldn't produce an equalizer.
"We took too many penalties, which is interesting in itself, but I thought Pavel was real strong," said Detroit head coach Mike Babcock.
Brian Rafalski and Darren Helm also scored for the third-seeded Red Wings, who will look to take a commanding 3-0 series lead Monday in the desert.
Howard stopped 30 of the 33 shots the sixth-seeded Coyotes fired his way, while Bryzgalov was beaten four times on 31 shots.
"We just got to play like we did in the third period and we'll be okay," Yandle said.
Detroit jumped out to a 2-0 lead behind power-play goals from Datsyuk and Rafalski.
Datsyuk crept in from the left point and beat Bryzgalov with a wrister at 10:42. The Phoenix netminder was looking around the traffic in front of him as the puck slid along the ice.
Following a similar formula, Rafalski let go a shot from the point that went between the legs of a screened Bryzgalov with 4:10 remaining.
Helm then put the Red Wings up 3-0 with 59 seconds left in the first period. Datsyuk chipped the puck past Yandle in the neutral zone and made a dazzling move with a shot between his legs. Bryzgalov repelled the shot with his right pad, but a trailing Helm slammed home the juicy rebound.
Detroit forward Henrik Zetterberg (lower-body injury) and Phoenix defenseman Derek Morris (upper-body injury) were both held out of the lineup on Saturday...Red Wings forward Kris Draper appeared in his 216th career playoff game, passing Larry Murphy for sole possession of 12th place on the all-time list...Detroit captain Nicklas Lidstrom picked up two assists to move into 13th place all-time with 177 playoff points...The Red Wings have won 55 consecutive postseason games when scoring four or more goals...Coyotes defenseman Ed Jovanovski suffered an upper-body injury in the second period and did not return.
- PHOENIX: 3
Apr 16 3:52 PM
- Phoenix Power-Play Goal - Shane Doan (2), from Keith Yandle and Radim Vrbata at 8:37.
Coyotes 3, Red Wings 4 3rd - 11:23Apr 16 3:35 PM
- Phoenix Power-Play Goal - Shane Doan, from Keith Yandle and Radim Vrbata at 5:49.
Coyotes 2, Red Wings 4 3rd - 14:11Apr 16 3:26 PM
- PHOENIX: 1
End of 2nd
Apr 16 2:59 PM
- Phoenix Power-Play Goal - Radim Vrbata (2), from Keith Yandle and Ray Whitney at 7:02.
Coyotes 1, Red Wings 4 2nd - 12:58Apr 16 2:33 PM
- Detroit Goal - Tomas Holmstrom, from Valtteri Filppula at 1:10.
Coyotes 0, Red Wings 4 2nd - 18:50Apr 16 2:22 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
End of 1st
Apr 16 2:03 PM
- Detroit Goal - Darren Helm, at 19:01.
Coyotes 0, Red Wings 3 1st - 0:59Apr 16 2:01 PM
- Detroit Goal - Brian Rafalski, from Pavel Datsyuk and Tomas Holmstrom at 15:50.
Coyotes 0, Red Wings 2 1st - 4:10Apr 16 1:55 PM
- Detroit Goal - Pavel Datsyuk, from Nicklas Lidstrom at 10:42.
Coyotes 0, Red Wings 1 1st - 9:18Apr 16 1:44 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 16 1:20 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28