Flyers take Game 3, series lead in BuffaloApr 19, 2011 - 2:41 AM
Boucher made the start in net after replacing Sergei Bobrovsky in the first period of Game 2. Boucher made 20 stops on 21 shots to help the Flyers win Game 2 and turned aside 11 shots the third period on Monday and helped the team kill off a long 5-on-3 as Philadelphia took a 2-1 lead in the best-of- seven series.
Danny Briere and Jeff Carter each had a goal while Kimmo Timonen added an empty-netter for the Flyers, who will look to take a commanding lead in the series in Game 4 on Wednesday night in Buffalo.
Drew Stafford and Nathan Gerbe each had a goal while Ryan Miller stopped 22- of-25 shots in the loss for the Sabres, who were just 1-for-6 on the power play in the contest.
The Flyers were holding a 2-1 lead and Zherdev, who had been a healthy scratch for the first two games, extended that with 3:16 to play in the middle frame.
Kris Versteeg was able to pick the pocket of a Buffalo player along the right boards and sent a hard pass over to the left circle. Mike Richards gathered the puck and fired a pass down to the low right side where an uncovered Zherdev tapped the puck in.
Buffalo again made it a one-goal game 1:28 later as Tim Connolly fired a shot from the right circle that Boucher stopped, but he let up a big rebound that kicked out to the left side and Gerbe shot it over the glove.
Boucher made a nice stop on a low shot from Tyler Ennis at the low right side 3 1/2 minutes into the third period to keep it a one-goal game.
Buffalo was awarded a golden opportunity to tie the game as, while on the power play, Darroll Powe took a foolish charging call to give the Sabres 1:15 of 5-on-3 play.
During the advantage, Ennis again found himself down low, but Boucher again came up with the stop and the Flyers' penalty killers were effective in keeping the play away from Boucher for the rest of the power play.
From there, Philly was able to keep Buffalo from generating any solid chances and Timonen sealed the win with an empty-netter in the final moments.
The Flyers' power play went just 1-for-15 in the two home games, but they were successful on their first chance early in Game 3.
With Patrick Kaleta in the box for roughing, Carter tried to throw the puck deep from the neutral zone, but it hit off a Sabre. Carter was able to catch up to the disc at the right circle and fired a shot into the net at the 4:42 mark.
Buffalo, though, answered with a power-play marker with 8:05 left in the first as Jason Pominville sent a pass from the right circle over to the front as Stafford snapped a wrister into the left corner through a screen.
Scott Hartnell was issued a double-minor for interference and delay of game after checking a Sabre and knocking the net off its moorings with 3:21 to play in the first, but Philly was able to kill of the penalty and took a 2-1 lead at the 2:44 mark of the second.
Hartnell found himself with the puck behind the right side of the net and was able to push it out front where a breaking Briere one-timed it into the right corner.
Bobrovsky was not even on the bench for the game as Michael Leighton served as Boucher's backup...Zherdev's goal was the first playoff marker of his career...Hartnell turned 29 on Monday...Andreas Nodl sat out the game with an upper body injury and was replaced by Zherdev...Sabres defenseman Jordan Leopold, who sat out the past 10 games with a broken bone in his left hand, played in the game and finished minus-one with two shots.
- PHILADELPHIA: 4
Apr 18 9:48 PM
- Philadelphia Empty Net Goal - Kimmo Timonen, from Claude Giroux at 19:42.
Flyers 4, Sabres 2 3rd - 0:18Apr 18 9:42 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 3
End of 2nd
Apr 18 8:48 PM
- Tim Connolly wrist shot on Brian Boucher.
Flyers 3, Sabres 2 2nd - 1:50Apr 18 8:45 PM
- Danny Briere slap shot on Ryan Miller.
Flyers 3, Sabres 1 2nd - 2:55Apr 18 8:44 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Danny Briere, at 2:43.
Flyers 2, Sabres 1 2nd - 17:17Apr 18 8:10 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
End of 1st
Apr 18 7:49 PM
- Buffalo Power-Play Goal - Drew Stafford, at 11:55.
Flyers 1, Sabres 1 1st - 8:05Apr 18 7:34 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Jeff Carter, from Matt Carle at 4:42.
Flyers 1, Sabres 0 1st - 15:18Apr 18 7:18 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 18 7:10 PM
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Buffalo Sabres home arena changing names to KeyBank Center May 11
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Johan Larsson to 1-year deal Apr 29
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 24