Helm's late goal keeps Red Wings aliveMay 7, 2011 - 3:36 AM
Detroit held a 3-0 lead late in the first period, but saw that advantage evaporate and Dany Heatley tied the game just 1:14 into the third.
However, Detroit threw everything it had at Antti Niemi to stave off elimination and finally broke through on Helm's second goal of the playoffs.
A left circle faceoff win saw the puck cycled around with a shot coming from the left point. Patrick Eaves found himself with the puck and from the right circle he fired it over to the left where Helm snapped it in for a 4-3 lead.
"He's a real good player and always works hard for us everyday," said Detroit head coach Mike Babcock about Helm. "I thought he was going to get an opportunity and he did and made the most of it."
From there, the Red Wings held the Sharks at bay to win their first game of the series.
Nicklas Lidstrom scored twice while Todd Bertuzzi had a goal and an assist for the Red Wings, who are attempting to become just the fourth team in NHL history to rally from a 3-0 hole in a best-of-seven series. Jimmy Howard stopped 25 shots for the win.
Logan Couture had a goal and an assist while Ryane Clowe had three helpers for the Sharks, who got 36 saves from Niemi.
The Sharks will hope to close out the series in front of their home crowd on Sunday in Game 5.
"It was hard to find six or seven guys that really skated well and Detroit did," said San Jose head coach Todd McLellan. "They worked hard out there and deserve all the credit. We just have to go home and work extra hard on Sunday cause we don't want to come back here."
Detroit jumped off to a quick lead when Bertuzzi used a spin move to get past a defender than threw a backhand from the right circle that hit off the stick of a Shark and got past Niemi just 6:22 in.
It was a 2-0 game less five minutes later as a sharp backhand on the fly from the right boards by Dan Cleary saw Niemi make the stop, but he kicked a big rebound out to the left circle where Lidstrom one-timed it home.
The Red Wings then made it a 3-0 game on the power play with 1:59 left in the first as Lidstrom whacked the puck out of air in the slot and it bounced off the ice before heading into the left corner.
However, the Sharks got one back 15 seconds later when a shot from the left boards by Clowe was deflected into the net at the left side by Couture.
The only goal of the second period was San Jose's as Dan Boyle's wrist shot from the right circle went over the glove of Howard for Boyle's second goal of the playoffs at the 13:44 mark of the second.
The comeback was capped early in the third when Heatley's wrister in the slot of a Clowe centering pass made it a 3-3 game.
Detroit went 1-for-4 on the power play while San Jose was 0-for-2...In last year's semifinal set between these two clubs, Detroit won Game 4 by a score of 7-1 to avoid the sweep, but then went on to lose Game 5...This is the fifth time these two clubs are meeting in the playoffs...Clowe has eight assists in the playoffs.
- SAN JOSE: 3
May 6 9:44 PM
- Detroit Goal - Darren Helm, from Patrick Eaves and Brian Rafalski at 18:33.
Sharks 3, Red Wings 4 3rd - 1:27May 6 9:38 PM
- Joe Thornton snap shot on Jimmy Howard.
Sharks 3, Red Wings 3 3rd - 18:19May 6 9:09 PM
- SAN JOSE: 2
End of 2nd
May 6 8:47 PM
- San Jose Goal - Dan Boyle, from Kyle Wellwood at 13:44.
Sharks 2, Red Wings 3 2nd - 6:16May 6 8:34 PM
- SAN JOSE: 1
End of 1st
May 6 7:50 PM
- San Jose Goal - Logan Couture, at 18:18.
Sharks 1, Red Wings 3 1st - 1:42May 6 7:47 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Nicklas Lidstrom (4), from Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk at 18:01.
Sharks 0, Red Wings 3 1st - 1:59May 6 7:46 PM
- Detroit Goal - Nicklas Lidstrom, at 11:09.
Sharks 0, Red Wings 2 1st - 8:51May 6 7:32 PM
- Detroit Goal - Todd Bertuzzi (2), at 6:22.
Sharks 0, Red Wings 1 1st - 13:38May 6 7:22 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
May 6 7:10 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19