Bolts rally from three-goal deficit, down Bruins to even seriesMay 21, 2011 - 11:21 PM
When the first period at the St. Pete Times Forum ended, the Lightning trailed 3-0 and appeared to be facing the prospect of another 3-1 deficit in this year's playoffs. But Tampa Bay rallied with three goals in the middle stanza.
Teddy Purcell ignited the comeback with a pair of tallies in a 63-second span, the latter coming at 7:58. Sean Bergenheim tied the game when he outworked Boston defenseman Tomas Kaberle behind the net and fired a quick shot through the legs of Tim Thomas at 10:53.
Gagne gave Tampa Bay the lead at 6:54 of the third. Ryan Malone stole the puck in the neutral zone and drove down the right wing. He then dished to a trailing Gagne, who slid a shot under Thomas' right pad.
For Gagne, it was the second straight season he tallied a lead goal after his team erased a 3-0 deficit in a playoff game. The 31-year-old recorded the game-winner in Game 7 of the East semis just over one year ago, to give the Flyers a 4-3 decision over Boston after Philadelphia fell behind 3-0 in that contest.
"We need to be ready for anything in the playoffs," Gagne said.
Martin St. Louis completed the scoring inside the final minute with an empty- netter, turning this series into a best-of-three which continues in Game 5 on Monday in Boston.
Mike Smith stopped all 21 shots he faced in relief of Lightning starting goaltender Dwayne Roloson to record his first career playoff win. Roloson was pulled for the second time in three games after allowing three goals in 18 minutes of action.
"It's a real credit to the locker room," Smith said. "These guys never gave up and they haven't given up all season."
Thomas, coming off a 31-save shutout in Game 3, and the Bruins were able to replicate that defensive play in the first period and took advantage of a couple Tampa Bay turnovers to build a seemingly comfortable cushion.
Patrice Bergeron, who returned to the lineup on Thursday after missing two games with a concussion, scored from the left side of the net at 11:47 after a misplay behind the Tampa Bay cage by Lightning defensemen Victor Hedman and Brett Clark.
Boston caught a break when Michael Ryder's intended backhand pass to Chris Kelly on an odd-man rush deflected in off the stick of Tampa Bay rearguard Mike Lundin at 16:34.
Bergeron potted his second of the game 1:24 later while teammate Dennis Seidenberg served a holding-the-stick penalty. Bergeron picked off pass in center ice by Steven Stamkos, who drew the infraction, and snapped a wrister from the top of the left circle between the legs of Roloson.
"We need to find a way to get back to what was giving us success," Bergeron said. "We had a couple good shifts, but they have a few shifts where they were first on the puck."
Roloson made just six saves, while Thomas was beaten four times on 36 shots...Gagne added two assists...Pittsburgh went up 3-1 during the quarterfinals over the Lightning, who then swept the final three games...Boston lost for the first time in the 2011 playoffs when scoring the first goal of a game (7-1).
- BOSTON: 3
TAMPA BAY: 5
May 21 4:22 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Martin St. Louis (8), from Simon Gagne and Victor Hedman at 19:23.
Bruins 3, Lightning 5 3rd - 0:37May 21 4:20 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Simon Gagne (4), at 6:54.
Bruins 3, Lightning 4 3rd - 13:06May 21 3:53 PM
- BOSTON: 3
TAMPA BAY: 3
End of 2nd
May 21 3:22 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Sean Bergenheim (9), at 10:53.
Bruins 3, Lightning 3 2nd - 9:07May 21 2:59 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Teddy Purcell (4), from Mattias Ohlund and Vincent Lecavalier at 7:58.
Bruins 3, Lightning 2 2nd - 12:02May 21 2:53 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Teddy Purcell (3), at 6:55.
Bruins 3, Lightning 1 2nd - 13:05May 21 2:50 PM
- BOSTON: 3
TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 1st
May 21 2:19 PM
- Boston Short-Handed Goal - Patrice Bergeron (4), at 17:55.
Bruins 3, Lightning 0 1st - 2:05May 21 2:16 PM
- Boston Goal - Michael Ryder (5), at 16:34.
Bruins 2, Lightning 0 1st - 3:26May 21 2:10 PM
- Boston Goal - Patrice Bergeron (3), at 11:47.
Bruins 1, Lightning 0 1st - 8:13May 21 2:00 PM
- BOSTON: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
May 21 1:39 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17