Lightning open season with rout of HurricanesOct 8, 2011 - 4:02 AM
Martin St. Louis and Vincent Lecavalier also scored for the Lightning, who lost the Eastern Conference Finals in seven games against eventual Stanley Cup champion Boston a season ago.
Dwayne Roloson registered 32 saves for the victors.
Prior to their deep postseason run, the Lightning eliminated Carolina from playoff contention with a 6-2 victory on the final day of the 2010-11 regular season.
The Hurricanes were denied a measure of revenge Friday, as Jeff Skinner, who won the Calder Trophy as the NHL's top rookie last season, tallied the team's lone goal during the first period.
Cam Ward stopped 29 shots.
"We worked hard enough the first two periods," said Skinner. "We just sort of came off of it for a little bit and they capitalized on some scoring chances we gave them."
Skinner beat Roloson 8:07 into the first period, but the Hurricanes were held off the board for the remainder of the game.
Steven Stamkos, who was re-signed to a five-year, $37.5 million contract during the offseason, assisted on both of Tampa Bay's second period goals.
The first, by St. Louis came 5:19 into the period. The second, by Lecavalier, put the Lightning on top for good.
Tampa Bay then poured it on in the third period to decisively seal the victory. Downie's rebound put-in came with 7:28 remaining and Hall scored off a center-ice draw 10 seconds later for a 4-1 advantage.
Malone capped the scoring with 3:02 remaining.
"It's frustrating that we could play 40 minutes like that and then come up short like that in the third," said Skinner. "We have to figure out a way to put 60 minutes together."
Tampa plays in Boston on Saturday...Last season, the Lightning took four-of- six from the Hurricanes during the regular season...Carolina plays in Washington on Saturday.
- TAMPA BAY: 5
Oct 7 9:52 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Ryan Malone, from Teddy Purcell at 16:58.
Lightning 5, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 3:02Oct 7 9:34 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Adam Hall, at 12:32.
Lightning 4, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 7:28Oct 7 9:25 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Marc-Andre Bergeron, at 12:22.
Lightning 3, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 7:38Oct 7 9:23 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 2
End of 2nd
Oct 7 8:46 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Vincent Lecavalier, from Steven Stamkos and Martin St. Louis at 17:50.
Lightning 2, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 2:10Oct 7 8:41 PM
- Martin St. Louis wrist shot on Cam Ward.
Lightning 1, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 14:42Oct 7 8:13 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 1st
Oct 7 7:48 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jeff Skinner, from Tim Gleason and Tuomo Ruutu at 8:07.
Lightning 0, Hurricanes 1 1st - 11:53Oct 7 7:24 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 7 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17