Rangers continue dominance of FlyersFeb 6, 2012 - 6:16 AM
Marian Gaborik had a goal and an assist while Michael Del Zotto, Brandon Dubinsky and Ruslan Fedotenko all scored for the Rangers, who have won four of five.
Henrik Lundqvist, who had posted shutouts in his previous two starts, allowed two goals on 23 shots in the win.
"I think we know how important these games are," said Gaborik. "We come with a lot of energy and stick with our system. We have played very well against them this year and this game was one of them."
Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds both scored for the Flyers, who have dropped their past two games. Ilya Bryzgalov allowed four goals on 37 shots in the loss.
With the Rangers holding a 2-1 lead, the Flyers tied the game 57 seconds into the third on the power play as Simmonds received the puck in close and lifted it high over Lundqvist.
However, the Rangers took the lead back 36 seconds later when a pass from Gaborik at the low left circle back to the inside left circle saw Del Zotto one-time it between the pads of Bryzgalov.
It was a 4-2 game at the 12:15 mark as a weak clear resulted in New York keeping the puck in the Philly end and Dubinsky eventually being set up for a wrist shot into the net.
"We had too many turnovers today and they all wound up in the back of the net," said Simmonds.
Fedotenko capped the scoring with 1:16 left in the game and the net empty.
These squads met up for the first time since the Winter Classic in Philadelphia, which saw the Rangers take a 3-2 win on January 2.
The first goal of the game came just 64 seconds in as Dan Girardi blasted a shot on net from the right point that Anisimov redirected in.
Philly tied the game halfway through the second as Jakub Voracek hit Schenn, who was just coming out of the penalty box, with a lead pass and he shifted to the backhand before lifting the puck over Lundqvist.
However, Gaborik scored with just 5.1 seconds left in the second period as he got the puck behind the net and used a wraparound from the left side that hit off of Bryzgalov's stick and went into the net.
New York hosts New Jersey on Tuesday...Philadelphia hosts the New York Islanders on Tuesday...The Rangers have won all four games this season against the Flyers...Philly went 1-for-6 on the power play while New York was 0- for-5...Simmonds' goal was his 17th of the season, a new career high.
- PHILADELPHIA: 2
NEW YORK: 5
Feb 5 3:39 PM
- NY Rangers Empty Net Goal - Ruslan Fedotenko (7), from Carl Hagelin and Brad Richards at 18:44.
Flyers 2, Rangers 5 3rd - 1:16Feb 5 3:37 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Brandon Dubinsky (6), at 12:15.
Flyers 2, Rangers 4 3rd - 7:45Feb 5 3:24 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Michael Del Zotto, at 1:33.
Flyers 2, Rangers 3 3rd - 18:27Feb 5 3:03 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Wayne Simmonds (17), at :57.
Flyers 2, Rangers 2 3rd - 19:03Feb 5 3:01 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
NEW YORK: 2
End of 2nd
Feb 5 2:42 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Marian Gaborik (26), at 19:54.
Flyers 1, Rangers 2 2nd - 0:06Feb 5 2:41 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Brayden Schenn (5), at 12:02.
Flyers 1, Rangers 1 2nd - 7:58Feb 5 2:23 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Feb 5 1:47 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Dan Girardi (5), at 1:04.
Flyers 0, Rangers 1 1st - 18:56Feb 5 1:11 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 5 1:08 PM
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Apr 26
- Penguins goaltender Fleury still dealing with concussion Apr 25