Kovalchuk nets two power-play goals as Thrashers rollSep 21, 2006 - 2:00 AM ATLANTA (Ticker) -- The offense of the Atlanta Thrashers is in midseason form.
Ilya Kovalchuk scored a pair of power-play goals and Vyacheslav Kozlov collected three assists as the Thrashers rolled to a 6-3 preseason win over the Florida Panthers.
The 2004 Maurice Richard Trophy winner, Kovalchuk ignited an offensive outburst in the first period, cashing in on a power play just 3:34 into the contest. Marian Hossa and Jason Krog tallied less than three minutes apart midway through the session before Kovalchuk made it 4-0 with 6:46 remaining.
Florida halved the deficit on goals by Ville Peltonen and Rostislav Olesz, but Brett Sterling scored at 16:36 to expand the lead to 5-2.
Nathan Horton and Joseph Crabb traded tallies in the second period, but goaltender Michael Garnett stopped all nine shots he faced in the third to preserve the win for Atlanta.
Hossa and Krog each added two assists for the Thrashers, who scored five goals on 10 shots against Panthers netminder Alex Auld.
Captain Olli Jokinen set up two goals for Florida, which scratched veteran goalie Ed Belfour, Joe Nieuwendyk and newcomer Todd Bertuzzi.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26
- Panthers came far in 2015-16, now eyeing the future Apr 25
- Islanders advance to second round for first time since 1993 Apr 25
- Islanders beat Panthers 2-1 in 2OTs to end playoff drought Apr 25
- Panthers C Nick Bjugstad out for Game 5 against Islanders Apr 24