Savard, Stuart pace Bruins past IslandersSep 23, 2006 - 1:22 AM MONCTON, New Brunswick (Ticker) -- Marc Savard is demonstrating why he was one of the most sought-after free agents this past offseason.
Savard and defenseman Brad Stuart each had a power-play goal and an assist as the Boston Bruins skated to a 5-1 preseason victory over the New York Islanders at Moncton Coliseum.
After scoring a career-high 97 points with Atlanta last season, Savard drew the attention of many teams looking for scoring over the summer. Boston won the sweepstakes, inking the veteran center to a four-year, $40 million contract on July 1.
Savard recorded an assist in his preseason debut with the Bruins before registering a multi-point game Friday. With Boston already ahead, 3-1, the 29-year-old set up Martins Karsums 1:43 remaining in the second period before converting a man advantage late in the third to provide the final margin.
Stuart scored the second of four goals in the middle period before assisting on Savard's tally.
Nate Thompson and Pascal Pelletier also scored and Tim Thomas made 30 saves for the Boston, which rested Marco Sturm, Glen Murray and 2006 first-round pick Phil Kessel.
Former Bruin Shawn Bates scored the lone tally on a breakaway for the Islanders, who were playing their first game of the preseason. Rick DiPietro, who signed a record 15-year contract earlier this month, allowed three goals on 13 shots before being relieved.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7
- Garrison's OT goal lifts Lightning to 2-1 win over Islanders May 7
- Islanders look for win amid improved play against Lightning May 6