Williams makes preseason debut a good one for Red WingsSep 23, 2006 - 3:06 AM DETROIT (Ticker) -- Jason Williams was making his first appearance for the Detroit Red Wings this preseason. It proved to be at just the right time.
Williams scored with eight seconds remaining in overtime, giving the Red Wings a 5-4 triumph over the Tampa Bay Lightning.
After Detroit squandered a 4-2 lead late in the third period, Williams beat goaltender Johan Holmqvist with time winding down in the extra session to give the Red Wings their first win of the preseason.
Trailing, 2-1, Detroit got consecutive tallies from Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg and Jakub Kindl to build a two-goal advantage with just over 11 minutes left in the third.
But Vincent Lecavalier, who opened the scoring at 14:41 of the opening period, netted a shorthanded goal with 5:22 remaining in the third and a power-play tally with 36 seconds to go, completing his hat trick and forging a 4-4 tie.
Mikael Samuelsson also scored and Johan Franzen collected three assists for the Red Wings, who lost Danny Markov to a slightly strained left MCL. The Russian defenseman will undergo an MRI on Saturday.
Nikita Alexeev picked up an assist before being high-sticked in the face late in the third period, causing his right eye to swell.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17