Dawes' goal keeps Rangers unbeaten in preseasonSep 24, 2006 - 3:04 AM SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (Ticker) -- Nigel Dawes did not let the Florida Panthers enjoy their tying goal for long.
Dawes scored just nine seconds after defenseman Ari Vallin tied the game early in the third period, lifting the New York Rangers to a 3-2 preseason triumph over the Panthers at the Coliseo de Puerto Rico.
New York, which improved to 3-0-0 this preseason, held a 2-1 lead after two periods before Vallin tallied at 2:10 of the third. But Dawes gained control of the puck after the ensuing faceoff and blasted a slap shot from the left point that beat goaltender Alex Auld at 2:19 for a 3-2 advantage.
Petr Prucha and defenseman Thomas Pock also scored and Brendan Shanahan picked up two assists for the Rangers. Stephen Valiquette and Al Montoya split the goaltending duties for New York, with the latter picking up the win.
Defenseman Steve Montador tallied and Auld made 38 saves for the Panthers, who played without captain Olli Jokinen, Joe Nieuwendyk and Gary Roberts.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30