MacArthur's goal in 11th round of shootout gives Sabres winSep 24, 2006 - 3:24 AM HAMILTON, Ontario (Ticker) -- Clarke MacArthur decided not to prolong the agony.
MacArthur scored in the 11th round of the shootout, lifting the Buffalo Sabres to a 3-2 preseason triumph over the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Pittsburgh took a 2-0 lead in the first period on goals by newcomer Nils Ekman and defenseman Kristopher Letang. But blue-liner Henrik Tallinder scored in the middle session and Jason Pominville tallied just over six minutes into the third to forge a 2-2 tie.
Star center Sidney Crosby gave the Penguins the advantage with a goal in the second round of the shootout, but Austrian Thomas Vanek kept the Sabres alive with a tally in the third round. The teams traded unsuccessful attempts over the next seven rounds before MacArthur broke through in the 11th.
Crosby recorded a pair of assists and Dany Sabourin made 44 saves for Pittsburgh, which was outshot, 46-19.
Ryan Miller stopped 17 shots for the Sabres, who went 0-for-4 on the power play.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17