LeClair nets game-winner as Penguins edge FlyersSep 25, 2006 - 2:10 AM LONDON, Ontario (Ticker) -- John LeClair scored a late power-play goal and goaltender Jocelyn Thibault posted a solid effort as the Pittsburgh Penguins recorded a 2-1 preseason victory over the Philadelphia Flyers.
A former Flyer, LeClair put the Penguins ahead with 4:46 to play, banging home a loose puck after a scramble in front of the Philadelphia goal.
Rookie Jordan Staal, the second overall pick in the 2006 draft, started the play, winning the puck in the corner and centering a pass to Mark Recchi, whose shot was stopped by goaltender Martin Houle.
Ryan Stone got the Penguins on the scoreboard first 5:24 into the period. Geoff Sanderson scored a power-play goal for the Flyers with 3:19 left in the second to tie the game at 1-1.
Thibault stopped 21 of 22 shots for the Penguins, who played without Sidney Crosby.
Houle made 15 saves for Philadelphia, which was without Simon Gagne.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17