Thompson leads Lightning past DevilsMar 6, 2013 - 3:58 AM
Martin St. Louis and Alexander Killorn each registered a goal and an assist, while Anders Lindback made 25 saves in the victory.
"The guys deserve it," Tampa Bay coach Guy Boucher said of his team snapping the skid. "We were hoping to deserve one before that, but in the end, when you get hurt so much, you learn from it a little better."
New Jersey netminder Johan Hedberg allowed three goals on 11 shots before being pulled in the second period. Rookie goaltender Keith Kinkaid stopped 12- of-13 shots in his first NHL appearance, but it wasn't enough, as the Devils dropped their sixth straight decision.
"Once I got that call, my legs started shaking," Kinkaid admitted of his debut. "Just to get that first taste of NHL hockey is surreal."
Adam Henrique and Patrik Elias each scored once in the setback.
Thompson's first tally got the Lightning going late in the first frame, as he took a nice feed from Cory Conacher before one-timing a shot through the five- hole of Hedberg to make it 1-0 at the 17:04 mark.
Tampa Bay doubled its cushion just under six minutes into the second when Killorn stopped on a dime in the low right circle and sent a feed to the low left side, where St. Louis stopped the puck with his skate before lifting one over a sprawling Hedberg to make it 2-0 at the 5:53 mark.
The visitors padded their lead later in the second when Killorn won a scrum in the right corner and skated into the slot before flipping a low shot on net that snuck past the right pad of Hedberg to make it 3-0 at the 13:13 mark.
Hedberg was promptly pulled in favor of Kinkaid, who stopped the only three shots he faced in the frame to keep the margin at 3-0 heading into the third.
Thompson added his second tally at the 8:36 mark of the final frame when he took a feed in the slot from Conacher in the right circle before ripping a shot high over Kinkaid for a 4-0 lead.
Henrique's short-handed goal at the 13:44 mark ended Lindback's bid for his first shutout of the season before Elias added a power-play tally at the 15:15 mark when he pounded home a rebound to bring New Jersey within 4-2.
B.J. Crombeen put to rest any hopes of a comeback when he potted an empty- netter at the 18:40 mark to account for the final margin.
New Jersey goaltender Martin Brodeur (back) missed his sixth straight game ... The Devils fell to 6-3-2 at home, while Tampa Bay improved to 4-8-0 as the guest ... Crombeen's goal was his first of the season ... New Jersey had won two straight in the series, including a 4-2 home win on Feb. 7 ... Tampa Bay finished 0-for-2 on the power play, while New Jersey was 1-for-2.
- TAMPA BAY: 5
NEW JERSEY: 2
Mar 5 9:35 PM
- Tampa Bay Empty Net Goal - B.J. Crombeen, from Adam Hall and Nate Thompson at 18:40.
Lightning 5, Devils 2 3rd - 1:20Mar 5 9:32 PM
- New Jersey Power-Play Goal - Patrik Elias (6), from Travis Zajac and Ilya Kovalchuk at 15:15.
Lightning 4, Devils 2 3rd - 4:45Mar 5 9:25 PM
- New Jersey Short-Handed Goal - Adam Henrique (6), at 13:44.
Lightning 4, Devils 1 3rd - 6:16Mar 5 9:20 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Nate Thompson (5), from Cory Conacher and Sami Salo at 8:36.
Lightning 4, Devils 0 3rd - 11:24Mar 5 9:10 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 3
NEW JERSEY: 0
End of 2nd
Mar 5 8:37 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Alex Killorn (4), from Martin St. Louis and Vincent Lecavalier at 13:13.
Lightning 3, Devils 0 2nd - 6:47Mar 5 8:23 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Martin St. Louis (6), from Alex Killorn and Vincent Lecavalier at 5:53.
Lightning 2, Devils 0 2nd - 14:07Mar 5 8:09 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
NEW JERSEY: 0
End of 1st
Mar 5 7:41 PM
- David Clarkson backhand shot is wide.
Lightning 1, Devils 0 1st - 1:04Mar 5 7:37 PM
- Nate Thompson shot on Johan Hedberg.
Lightning 0, Devils 0 1st - 2:56Mar 5 7:35 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal at 17:04.
Lightning 1, Devils 0 1st - 2:56Mar 5 7:35 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 5 7:09 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17