Tlusty powers Hurricanes over DevilsMar 10, 2013 - 5:41 AM
Alexander Semin posted a goal and two assists, Jeff Skinner had a goal and a helper and Jay Harrison and Chris Terry each scored for the Hurricanes, who have won five of their last six games. Dan Ellis made 31 saves in the win.
"They came ready to play, and we had a great effort from everyone tonight," said Carolina head coach Kirk Muller. "We were able to use four lines and six D, which was great."
Ilya Kovalchuk scored twice while Patrik Elias also lit the lamp for the Devils, who were coming off a win against Buffalo on Thursday that had snapped a six-game losing streak.
"We got outworked in those first two periods and it showed on the scoreboard," said Kovalchuk. "I thought we finally got things together in the third, but it was too late."
Johan Hedberg gave up five goals on 18 shots before while Jeff Frazee played the third period and stopped all three shots he faced in relief.
Carolina grabbed the lead in the first period with a pair of goals separated by 28 seconds.
On the first goal, Joe Corvo sent a pass from the left boards to the slot where an uncovered Semin lifted a backhand in at the 12:16 mark while on the power play.
Moments later, Jordan Staal rushed into the zone down the right wing and snapped a shot from the circle that Hedberg stopped, but the rebound sat out front and Harrison eventually got it in for a 2-0 lead.
Skating shorthanded, New Jersey was able to cut into its deficit as Kovalchuk blocked a shot and raced the other way, capping the break with a shot between the pads of Ellis with 5:20 to play in the first.
Carolina blew the game open in the second period with three goals, starting at the 4:42 mark after Semin fired a pass from the right circle to the low left side where Tlusty one-timed it home.
It was a 4-1 game at 11:09 when the puck floated down from the left point and Terry jammed it in for his first NHL goal, and Skinner tapped it in from in front with 2:45 to play in the frame for a 5-1 advantage.
New Jersey struck for a pair of quick scores to make it a two-goal game in the third period as Kovalchuk potted his second of the contest just 22 seconds in and Elias added his eighth of the year four minutes later.
Carolina, though, was able to keep the puck out of the net the rest of the way and Tlusty iced the victory with an empty-netter with 1:14 to play.
Carolina plays in Washington on Tuesday ... The Devils host the Jets on Sunday ... Carolina was 1-for-3 on the power play while New Jersey went 0-for-2 ... The Hurricanes have taken both contests with New Jersey this season.
- NEW JERSEY: 3
Mar 9 10:33 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jiri Tlusty (13), from Alexander Semin and Eric Staal at 18:46.
Devils 3, Hurricanes 6 3rd - 1:14Mar 9 10:30 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Patrik Elias (8), from Marek Zidlicky and Anton Volchenkov at 4:21.
Devils 3, Hurricanes 5 3rd - 15:39Mar 9 10:03 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Ilya Kovalchuk (9), from Mark Fayne and Andy Greene at :22.
Devils 2, Hurricanes 5 3rd - 19:38Mar 9 8:57 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 9 8:38 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jeff Skinner (9), from Jordan Staal and Tim Gleason at 17:15.
Devils 1, Hurricanes 5 2nd - 2:45Mar 9 8:36 PM
- Carolina Goal - Chris Terry, at 11:09.
Devils 1, Hurricanes 4 2nd - 8:51Mar 9 8:23 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jiri Tlusty (12), from Alexander Semin and Dan Ellis at 4:42.
Devils 1, Hurricanes 3 2nd - 15:18Mar 9 8:11 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 1st
Mar 9 7:46 PM
- New Jersey Short-Handed Goal - Ilya Kovalchuk (8), at 14:40.
Devils 1, Hurricanes 2 1st - 5:20Mar 9 7:37 PM
- Alexander Semin shot blocked by Anton Volchenkov.
Devils 0, Hurricanes 2 1st - 6:56Mar 9 7:35 PM
- Jordan Staal snap shot on Johan Hedberg.
Devils 0, Hurricanes 1 1st - 7:18Mar 9 7:32 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jay Harrison, at 12:44.
Devils 0, Hurricanes 2 1st - 7:16Mar 9 7:32 PM
- Carolina Power-Play Goal - Alexander Semin (7), from Joe Corvo at 12:16.
Devils 0, Hurricanes 1 1st - 7:44Mar 9 7:31 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 9 7:10 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Hurricanes, Nordstrom agree to 2-year, $2.55M extension Apr 22
- Goalie Cam Ward says he wants to return to Hurricanes Apr 12
- Devils make progress under Hynes, still miss playoffs Apr 11
- Devils' Elias reconsidering future after good final week Apr 10
- Hurricanes confident rebuilding plan is on the right track Apr 10
- Panthers score 3 early goals, beat Hurricanes 5-2 Apr 9