Devils deal struggling Flyers costly lossMar 14, 2013 - 4:36 AM
Andrei Loktionov and Patrik Elias each posted a goal and an assist for the Devils, who have won three of their last four. Ilya Kovalchuk had the other goal while Johan Hedberg made 23 saves.
"We had a lot of chances tonight and did a good job of putting them away," said Kovalchuk. "Hopefully this gives us a big jump and we'll be able to carry it into Philly."
Jakub Voracek and Scott Hartnell scored for the Flyers, who were coming off a win against Buffalo on Sunday but fell for the fourth time in the past five games. Ilya Bryzgalov was tagged for all five goals on 32 shots.
"They beat us tonight and that's all there is to it," said Bryzgalov. "I really have no idea what to say about this aside from that I'm just tired and have no emotions. A lot of disappointment right now."
These two teams will meet in Philadelphia on Friday.
The Devils grabbed the lead just 2:02 into the game as a turnover in the Philly end resulted in Elias eventually getting the puck down low and slipping in a backhand.
Philly tied the game on the power play near the midway mark of the first as Wayne Simmonds passed it from the low left side to the right circle where a cutting Voracek one-timed it home.
It was all New Jersey from there, though.
Just 36 seconds after the Flyers tied the game, Henrique snapped a wrister from the right circle that went off the right pad of Bryzgalov then hit off Matt Read before going into the net.
Kovalchuk made it a 3-1 game while shorthanded as Read was unable to keep the puck in the zone and it went the other way. Kovalchuk caught up to the disc in the Flyers end down the right wing and snapped a wrister that beat Bryzgalov to the glove with 2:42 left in the first period.
The Devils took a 4-1 lead 6:31 into the second as Loktionov brought the puck in down the left wing, dragged the puck to the slot and snapped it into the net for his fourth goal of the season.
Henrique notched his second of the game on the power play 76 seconds into the third period while Hartnell scored inside of four minutes to play to cap the scoring in the contest.
Philly was 1-for-4 on the power play while New Jersey went 1-for-6 ... Philadelphia defenseman Luke Schenn was out of the lineup due to the flu ... New Jersey has won all three games against Philadelphia this season, outscoring the Flyers, 13-5.
- PHILADELPHIA: 2
NEW JERSEY: 5
Mar 13 10:07 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Scott Hartnell (2), from Jakub Voracek at 16:08.
Flyers 2, Devils 5 3rd - 3:52Mar 13 10:01 PM
- New Jersey Power-Play Goal - Adam Henrique (9), from Andrei Loktionov and Marek Zidlicky at 1:16.
Flyers 1, Devils 5 3rd - 18:44Mar 13 9:34 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
NEW JERSEY: 4
End of 2nd
Mar 13 9:14 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Andrei Loktionov (4), at 6:31.
Flyers 1, Devils 4 2nd - 13:29Mar 13 8:47 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
NEW JERSEY: 3
End of 1st
Mar 13 8:20 PM
- New Jersey Short-Handed Goal - Ilya Kovalchuk (10), at 17:18.
Flyers 1, Devils 3 1st - 2:42Mar 13 8:15 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Adam Henrique (8), at 10:21.
Flyers 1, Devils 2 1st - 9:39Mar 13 8:02 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Jakub Voracek, from Wayne Simmonds at 9:45.
Flyers 1, Devils 1 1st - 10:15Mar 13 8:00 PM
- Ruslan Fedotenko wrist shot is wide.
Flyers 0, Devils 1 1st - 17:39Mar 13 7:46 PM
- Steve Bernier wrist shot on Ilya Bryzgalov.
Flyers 0, Devils 0 1st - 18:00Mar 13 7:45 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Patrik Elias (9), from Adam Henrique and Steve Bernier at 2:02.
Flyers 0, Devils 1 1st - 17:58Mar 13 7:45 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 13 7:43 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24