Simmonds nets hat trick, Flyers top HurricanesApr 21, 2013 - 4:59 AM
Matt Read had a goal and two assists. Jakub Voracek scored while Steve Mason stopped 26 shots for the Flyers, who were eliminated from playoff contention on Friday after the New York Rangers won.
"Obviously I felt pretty good out there tonight," said Simmonds. "Everyone played real strong for us tonight and we played a full 60 minutes. We're professional athletes and we're going to finish this season strong."
Eric Staal, Justin Faulk and Jeff Skinner all lit the lamp for the Hurricanes, who have lost 17 of their last 19 games. Justin Peters gave up all six goals on 39 shots.
"They outworked us tonight," said Carolina head coach Kirk Muller. "At the end of the day, you've got to come ready to play. You can't take a night off in the NHL."
The Flyers scored seven minutes in when Voracek skated in on a breakaway and put the puck between the pads of Peters, but Skinner answered six minutes later on a shot from the slot.
In the second period, Simmonds got a stick on a Read feed to give Philly a 2-1 lead just 1:54 in, but the 'Canes answered at the 7:19 mark as Faulk's slap shot from the right point went through traffic and beat Mason.
Simmonds, though, scored his second of the game on a slap shot from the right circle for his 14th goal of the year at 8:33 to give Philly a 3-2 lead.
It took just 48 seconds into the third period for Simmonds to cap his first career hat trick when his shot from a sharp angle at the right side found its way past Peters.
Carolina got the goal back two minutes later as Staal put home a rebound of a Jiri Tlusty shot, but Read buried his breakaway chance at the 7:03 mark to make it a 5-3 game.
Philadelphia won all three games against Carolina this season ... The Flyers host the Bruins on Tuesday ... Carolina plays in Tampa on Sunday ... Neither team scored on the power play as Philly had four chances and Carolina three.
- PHILADELPHIA: 6
Apr 20 9:36 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Matt Read, from Wayne Simmonds at 7:03.
Flyers 5, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 12:57Apr 20 9:07 PM
- Eric Staal wrist shot on Steve Mason.
Flyers 4, Hurricanes 2 3rd - 17:14Apr 20 9:02 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Wayne Simmonds, at :48.
Flyers 4, Hurricanes 2 3rd - 19:12Apr 20 8:58 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 3
End of 2nd
Apr 20 8:38 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Wayne Simmonds (14), at 8:33.
Flyers 3, Hurricanes 2 2nd - 11:27Apr 20 8:13 PM
- Carolina Goal - Justin Faulk, at 7:19.
Flyers 2, Hurricanes 2 2nd - 12:41Apr 20 8:11 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Wayne Simmonds (13), from Matt Read at 1:54.
Flyers 2, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 18:06Apr 20 8:03 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
End of 1st
Apr 20 7:43 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jeff Skinner (13), at 13:18.
Flyers 1, Hurricanes 1 1st - 6:42Apr 20 7:32 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Jakub Voracek (20), at 7:00.
Flyers 1, Hurricanes 0 1st - 13:00Apr 20 7:19 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 20 7:09 PM
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 23
- Surprise goaltenders make big impacts on playoffs' 1st round Apr 23