Mason leads Flyers over slumping BruinsApr 24, 2013 - 3:39 AM
Simon Gagne, Scott Hartnell, Matt Read, Oliver Lauridsen and Jakub Voracek all scored for the Flyers, who have won their past two games.
"He was really good again tonight," said Gagne about Mason. "His confidence is getting bigger and bigger every game and that's something we've been talking a lot about."
Boston remains tied with Montreal for first place in the Northeast Division as both teams have 59 points. However, the Bruins have a game in hand on the Canadiens, who lost to the Devils on Tuesday.
Wade Redden and David Krejci both scored for the Bruins, who have lost five of six. Anton Khudobin gave up three goals on 17 shots before being pulled in the second period. Tuukka Rask finished the game in net and gave up two goals on 13 shots.
"It was definitely a step back in our game," said Boston head coach Claude Julien. "Really poor puck management tonight and door decision making. That to me is a reflection of guys not being ready to play. They need to take the accountability of being ready."
Hartnell got the Flyers on the board just 1:40 into the game as he grabbed a loose puck in the slot and snapped it home for his eighth of the year.
Boston got it back three minutes later as Jaromir Jagr flung the puck on net from the slot and Mason made the stop, but Redden was able to chip the puck over the goalie.
Philadelphia scored a pair of goals separated by just seven seconds in the middle period to take the lead.
The first goal came at 11:24 when Wayne Simmonds shot the puck on net and Khudobin made the stop, but Read backhanded the rebound into the air and swatted it in for his 11th of the season.
The faceoff after the goal saw Lauridsen push the puck deep into the Boston end as Zdeno Chara grabbed the puck in the right corner. The Bruins defenseman tried to wrap it back the other way behind the net, but it went into the goal off the stick of Khudobin to give Lauridsen credit for his first NHL goal.
Voracek scored his 21st goal of the season at the 5:33 mark of the third with a backhander between the pads of Rask on a breakaway to give the Flyers a 4-1 lead.
Krejci gave Boston some life with his 10th of the year at 8:20, but Gagne answered 13 seconds later to kill any hopes of a comeback.
Before the game, the Flyers paid tribute to the victims of last week's bombing at the Boston Marathon ... The Flyers close out the home portion of their schedule on Thursday against the Islanders ... Boston hosts Tampa Bay on Thursday ... The Flyers took two of three from the Bruins this season.
- BOSTON: 2
Apr 23 10:15 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Simon Gagne (5), at 8:33.
Bruins 2, Flyers 5 3rd - 11:27Apr 23 9:52 PM
- Boston Goal - David Krejci (10), at 8:20.
Bruins 2, Flyers 4 3rd - 11:40Apr 23 9:51 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Jakub Voracek (21), at 5:33.
Bruins 1, Flyers 4 3rd - 14:27Apr 23 9:46 PM
- BOSTON: 1
End of 2nd
Apr 23 9:19 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Oliver Lauridsen, at 11:31.
Bruins 1, Flyers 3 2nd - 8:29Apr 23 9:01 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Wayne Simmonds (16), at 11:24.
Bruins 1, Flyers 2 2nd - 8:36Apr 23 8:58 PM
- BOSTON: 1
End of 1st
Apr 23 8:19 PM
- Boston Goal - Wade Redden (3), at 4:54.
Bruins 1, Flyers 1 1st - 15:06Apr 23 7:49 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Scott Hartnell (8), at 1:40.
Bruins 0, Flyers 1 1st - 18:20Apr 23 7:44 PM
- BOSTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 23 7:42 PM
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar are Selke Trophy finalists Apr 28
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 23