Devils edge PensApr 26, 2013 - 6:57 AM
Travis Zajac and David Clarkson also scored for the Devils, winners in four of their last five contests. Johan Hedberg made 16 saves in the win.
"I don't think they were that desperate tonight. They were trying, but they weren't on top of their game," Kovalchuk said. "Still, we worked hard, and it was a good game overall."
Matt Cooke and Jussi Jokinen both tallied for the Penguins, who have already secured the top seed in the upcoming Eastern Conference playoffs. Marc-Andre Fleury made 29 stops in the loss.
Cooke scored 8:52 into the first period to give the Penguins a 1-0 edge. Hedberg stoned a Brenden Morrow shot from the left circle, and turned away Cooke's initial try on a rebound, but Cooke was able to get his second attempt to light the lamp.
Jokinen's tally with 5:59 left in the middle session put Pittsburgh up by two, but the Devils would counter with three unanswered goals.
Zajac beat Fleury with a snap shot in front with 1:27 left in the second. Patrik Elias found Zajac in the left circle. Zajac then skated to the middle of the ice before firing his seventh goal of the season.
Clarkson's power-play goal tied the game just over three minutes into the final frame.
On a 3-on-2 fastbreak, Steve Sullivan found Kovalchuk streaking down the right side. Kovalchuk took the pass and ripped a wrister past Fleury for the game- winner.
"We have to start playing now. How we're playing now is going to determine how we're playing in the playoffs," Penguins center Brandon Sutter said.
Elias had two assists to push his total for the season to 22 ... The Devils have missed the playoffs twice over the past three seasons ... The Penguins will close the season against the Carolina Hurricanes on Saturday.
- PITTSBURGH: 2
NEW JERSEY: 3
Apr 25 10:01 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Andrei Loktionov (9), from Ilya Kovalchuk and Steve Sullivan at 13:50.
Penguins 2, Devils 3 3rd - 6:10Apr 25 9:48 PM
- New Jersey Power-Play Goal - David Clarkson (15), from Travis Zajac at 3:01.
Penguins 2, Devils 2 3rd - 16:59Apr 25 9:27 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 2
NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 2nd
Apr 25 9:05 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Travis Zajac (7), from Patrik Elias at 18:33.
Penguins 2, Devils 1 2nd - 1:27Apr 25 9:02 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - Jussi Jokinen (11), at 14:01.
Penguins 2, Devils 0 2nd - 5:59Apr 25 8:54 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 1
NEW JERSEY: 0
End of 1st
Apr 25 8:11 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Matt Cooke (7), at 8:52.
Penguins 1, Devils 0 1st - 11:08Apr 25 7:53 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 25 7:40 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19