Sabres top Penguins on Mair's overtime tallySep 30, 2006 - 3:19 AM PITTSBURGH (Ticker) -- Adam Mair made the most of a rare opportunity.
Maxim Afinogenov forged a tie with less than six minutes remaining in the third period and Mair scored at 2:53 of overtime to lift the Buffalo Sabres to a 4-3 preseason victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins.
One of three Sabres to log less than 10 minutes of ice time, Mair got a chance in the extra session and ran with it, beating goaltender Jocelyn Thibault with just his second shot of the game.
Mair's heroics were made possible by Afinogenov, Buffalo's leading scorer last season. With teammate Dmitri Kalinin in the penalty box for hooking, the 27-year-old Russian fired a shot past Thibault at 14:08 to knot the game at 3-3.
Co-captain Daniel Briere and defenseman Teppo Numminen also scored for Buffalo, which registered the only three shots in overtime.
Colby Armstrong tallied twice and Sidney Crosby set up a pair of goals for the Penguins, who went 1-for-9 on the power play.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17