Red Wings hand Oilers fifth straight lossFeb 10, 2013 - 7:32 AM
Pavel Datsyuk posted a goal and an assist while Jimmy Howard made 23 saves for the Red Wings, who have won their past two and four of six.
Nikolai Khabibulin made 28 stops and Justin Schultz had the lone goal of the game for the Oilers, who have dropped their past five games.
"Disappointed, of course, with our specialty teams, which has been very strong this season. Today they deserted us," Oilers coach Ralph Krueger said.
In the third period with the score tied, Detroit was skating on the power play and Datsyuk sent the disc from the right circle to the high slot where Kronwall cranked a huge slap shot that blew through a screen and past Khabibulin for a 2-1 lead.
"Mule (Johan Franzen) once again did a great job in front. I finally was able to get one on the net," said Kronwall. "We talked a lot about shooting the puck. Mule is going to be there all night long. The rest of us have to do a better job getting pucks in there."
Howard needed to make just six stops in the frame, but helped kill off a late 6-on-4 after Franzen got whistled for a penalty and Edmonton pulled the goalie for an extra attacker.
After a scoreless first period, the Red Wings took a 1-0 lead on the power play. Henrik Zetterberg sent the puck from the left point to the low left side where Damien Brunner sent a one-touch pass over to the right and Datsyuk slipped it in at the 8:33 mark of the second.
Edmonton scored on a power play of its own with 2:05 to play in the second as Schultz snapped a heavy wrister from the high slot that beat Howard for his fourth of the season.
Detroit hosts Los Angeles on Sunday ... Edmonton plays in Columbus on Sunday ... Detroit took three of four from Edmonton last season and has won nine of 10, overall ... Edmonton was 1-for-8 on the power play and Detroit went 2- for-7.
- EDMONTON: 1
Feb 9 4:39 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Niklas Kronwall, from Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg at 6:08.
Oilers 1, Red Wings 2 3rd - 13:52Feb 9 4:14 PM
- EDMONTON: 1
End of 2nd
Feb 9 3:44 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Justin Schultz (4), at 17:55.
Oilers 1, Red Wings 1 2nd - 2:05Feb 9 3:40 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Pavel Datsyuk (4), at 8:33.
Oilers 0, Red Wings 1 2nd - 11:27Feb 9 3:23 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
End of 1st
Feb 9 2:47 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 9 2:15 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29