Red Wings edge Oilers on Datsyuk's OT winnerMar 16, 2013 - 5:32 AM
In the extra session, Niklas Kronwall hit Datsyuk with a short pass in the neutral zone and he went flying into the Edmonton zone. Skating up the middle, Datsyuk danced around a defender, went back to the outside and snapped a shot in for his first goal in 12 games.
"I don't think that's the recipe for success, but I think our guys really dug in and got competitive," said Detroit head coach Mike Babcock.
Kronwall had a goal as did Valtteri Filppula while Jimmy Howard allowed two goals on 32 shots for the Red Wings, who snapped a three-game losing streak.
Taylor Hall had a goal and an assist while Sam Gagner also scored for the Oilers, who had a two-game winning streak stopped. Devan Dubnyk gave up all three goals on 28 shots.
Edmonton scored the only goal of the first period when Hall skated through the middle and snapped a shot that beat Howard 3:34 into the game.
It was a 2-0 game with 3:42 to play in the second period as Gagner's shot off a rebound down low found the back of the net for his 11th of the season.
Detroit got one back at the 4:27 mark of the third period when Filppula threw a backhand on net from the slot that went in for his sixth of the season.
Skating on the power play, Detroit caught a break to tie the game as Kronwall blasted a shot on net that was stopped, but Edmonton's Jeff Petry shot it into his own net while trying to clear it away with 5:53 to play in regulation.
"It was coming back from the net and my first reaction was to put my stick on the ice", said Petry. "As I was putting it down it had forward momentum and that was that."
Edmonton hosts Nashville on Sunday ... Detroit wraps up its three-game road trip in Vancouver on Saturday ... Detroit won all three meetings between the two clubs this season ... Detroit went 1-for-5 on the power play while Edmonton was 0-for-3.
- DETROIT: 3
Final - OT
Mar 16 12:12 AM
- DETROIT: 2
End of Regulation
Mar 16 12:00 AM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Niklas Kronwall (5), at 14:07.
Red Wings 2, Oilers 2 3rd - 5:53Mar 15 11:46 PM
- Detroit Goal - Valtteri Filppula (6), at 4:27.
Red Wings 1, Oilers 2 3rd - 15:33Mar 15 11:26 PM
- DETROIT: 0
End of 2nd
Mar 15 11:02 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Sam Gagner, from Nail Yakupov and Taylor Hall at 16:18.
Red Wings 0, Oilers 2 2nd - 3:42Mar 15 10:57 PM
- DETROIT: 0
End of 1st
Mar 15 10:09 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Taylor Hall (6), at 3:34.
Red Wings 0, Oilers 1 1st - 16:26Mar 15 9:44 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 15 9:39 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29