Coyotes edge Red Wings behind Johnson's 34 savesApr 5, 2013 - 6:19 AM
Martin Hanzal and Michael Stone each had a goal and an assist while Chris Conner and Shane Doan also scored for the Coyotes, who have won three of their last four.
"We got some timely goals from guys and we held on from there," Johnson remarked.
Daniel Cleary and Valtteri Filppula each had a goal for the Red Wings, who have lost three of four. Jimmy Howard gave up three goals on 37 shots in the loss.
Detroit sits in seventh place in the Western Conference with 41 points, while Phoenix has 38 points and is two back of the final spot.
With the goalie pulled for an extra attacker and Mikkel Boedker in the box for a delay of game after flipping the puck over the glass, Detroit made it a 3-2 contest as Cleary tipped in a Henrik Zetterberg shot with 1:13 to play.
The Red Wings, though, couldn't net the equalizer and Hanzal sealed the win inside of one second to play with his empty-netter.
Detroit scored the only goal of the first period and it came 1:56 in on the power play as Filppula put home a rebound from the right side for his seventh of the season.
Phoenix tied the game 1:47 into the second period as Stone's big blast from the right point beat Howard cleanly.
The Coyotes took a 2-1 lead at the 8:08 mark of the middle period as Boedker went up the middle and dished the puck over to his right for Conner, who snapped home a wrister for his first goal as a member of the Coyotes.
Doan made it a 3-1 contest with 3:59 to play in the second period as a clearing pass from Keith Yandle went to Hanzal down the left wing and he fed it over to the middle where Doan put it home.
"It was a bad period for us," Zetterberg said of the second stanza. "We struggled a bit. We turned the puck over a little bit too much and they took advantage of that."
Phoenix hosts Colorado on Saturday ... Detroit plays in Colorado on Friday ... Detroit had taken a 3-2 win in Phoenix on March 25 ... Detroit went 2-for-6 on the power play while Phoenix was 0-for-4.
- DETROIT: 2
Apr 5 12:38 AM
- Phoenix Empty Net Goal - Martin Hanzal, from Michael Stone at 19:59.
Red Wings 2, Coyotes 4 3rd - 0:01Apr 5 12:37 AM
- Detroit Goal - Johan Franzen, at 18:47.
Red Wings 2, Coyotes 3 3rd - 1:13Apr 5 12:33 AM
- DETROIT: 1
End of 2nd
Apr 4 11:43 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Shane Doan (12), from Martin Hanzal and Keith Yandle at 16:01.
Red Wings 1, Coyotes 3 2nd - 3:59Apr 4 11:32 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Chris Conner, from Mikkel Boedker and Antoine Vermette at 8:08.
Red Wings 1, Coyotes 2 2nd - 11:52Apr 4 11:19 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Michael Stone (4), at 1:47.
Red Wings 1, Coyotes 1 2nd - 18:13Apr 4 11:07 PM
- DETROIT: 1
End of 1st
Apr 4 10:46 PM
- Detroit Goal - Valtteri Filppula, at 1:56.
Red Wings 1, Coyotes 0 1st - 18:04Apr 4 10:13 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 4 10:09 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28