Oilers end trip by clipping 'CanesMar 17, 2014 - 1:08 AM
The Oilers ended a four-game road trip on a positive note while dealing another blow to the Hurricanes' fading playoff hopes.
Ben Scrivens made 29 saves for Edmonton, which went 2-1-1 on its trek.
Anton Khudobin turned aside 31 shots for the Hurricanes, who have lost nine of 12 to slide down the Eastern Conference standings.
Schultz netted the go-ahead goal at 9:01 of the third. The defenseman handled the puck at the right point, skated towards the faceoff circle and beat Khudobin on the blocker side with a wrist shot.
"Finally, our power play was able to chip in and win us a game," said Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins.
Edmonton held on down the stretch with the Carolina net empty for the extra attacker in the last 76 seconds.
"We just didn't finish. We had several good scoring chances," said Hurricanes head coach Kirk Muller. "The puck was on the right guys' sticks, but we were only able to score one goal. We had a lot of opportunities to capitalize and we didn't."
The teams traded first-period goals.
Matt Hendricks carried the puck deep into the Carolina zone and threw it out front from below the goal line to recent call-up Anton Lander. The puck then caromed off a backchecking Hurricanes player and past Khudobin, with Hendricks credited with the goal at 6:43.
Jordan Staal tied it with 17.2 seconds remaining. The initial shot from Staal was blockered away by Scrivens, but Staal batted his own rebound out of the air.
Staal extended his point streak to six games, while teammate Alexander Semin has his point streak end at seven games ... Carolina was 0-for-3 on the power play.
- EDMONTON: 2
Mar 16 5:36 PM
- Sam Gagner snap shot on Anton Khudobin.
Oilers 2, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 8:05Mar 16 5:20 PM
- Boyd Gordon wrist shot on Anton Khudobin.
Oilers 1, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 13:47Mar 16 5:18 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Justin Schultz (9), at 9:01.
Oilers 2, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 10:59Mar 16 5:12 PM
- EDMONTON: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 16 4:40 PM
- Jordan Staal snap shot is wide.
Oilers 1, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 19:38Mar 16 4:06 PM
- EDMONTON: 1
End of 1st
Mar 16 3:49 PM
- Jordan Staal shot blocked by David Perron.
Oilers 1, Hurricanes 0 1st - 0:20Mar 16 3:48 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jordan Staal (14), from Eric Staal and Justin Faulk at 19:42.
Oilers 1, Hurricanes 1 1st - 0:18Mar 16 3:47 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Anton Lander, from Matt Hendricks and Boyd Gordon at 6:43.
Oilers 1, Hurricanes 0 1st - 13:17Mar 16 3:22 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 16 3:09 PM
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hurricanes, Nordstrom agree to 2-year, $2.55M extension Apr 22
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Goalie Cam Ward says he wants to return to Hurricanes Apr 12