Blue Jackets edge Coyotes in OTApr 9, 2014 - 4:58 AM Columbus, OH (SportsNetwork.com) - Ryan Johansen's goal 3:33 into overtime lifted the Columbus Blue Jackets to a 4-3 win over the Phoenix Coyotes on Tuesday.
Johansen handled a loose puck near center ice, skated in along the left side and fired a wrist shot that beat Thomas Greiss top-shelf on his glove side.
"(Johansen's) been a monster for us all year, scoring some big goals," said Columbus' Blake Comeau."He thrives in those moments. He wants to be a No. 1 center like he has been for us all year. You've got to step up and be that guy in key moments, and he's done that this year."
The Coyotes' Oliver Ekman-Larsson forced the extra session with his goal with 14.6 seconds remaining in regulation, firing a wrister from the point through traffic.
Johansen finished with one goal and an assist, while Comeau, Boone Jenner and Mark Letestu also scored for the Blue Jackets, who currently hold the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
Sergei Bobrovsky allowed three goals on 32 shots in the win.
Martin Erat and Shane Doan both scored for the Coyotes, who trail the Dallas Stars by two points for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
"We're incredibly disappointed," Doan said. "We wanted two points."
Jenner opened the scoring at 8:15 of the first period. Johansen threaded a pass to Nathan Horton in between the circles and Horton dropped it back to Jenner, who was charging to the net. Jenner then flicked the disc into the back of the net for the early lead.
The Coyotes, though, added two goals to take a 2-1 lead after 20 minutes. At 13:32, Erat pounded home a rebound in a pile up in front of the goal. Initially the goal was waved off, but after a video review it was determined the puck clearly crossed the line and was kicked out by a Columbus defender.
Doan deflected Michael Stone's shot at 17:53 to make it 2-1.
Letestu scored the lone goal of the second when he wristed one through at the 5:25 mark.
At 13:24 of the third, Comeau skated in along the left boards, faked a shot and quickly pulled the disc back before firing it past Greiss for a 3-2 Columbus lead.
Johansen's game-winner was his 32nd goal of the season ... Columbus closes the season with three road tilts. The Blue Jackets visit Dallas on Wednesday and will face Tampa Bay and Florida on Friday and Saturday, respectively .... Greiss made 26 saves ... Phoenix will visit Nashville on Thursday before hosting San Jose and Dallas over the weekend to close out its season.
- PHOENIX: 3
Final - OT
Apr 8 9:44 PM
- Columbus Goal - Ryan Johansen, at 3:33.
Coyotes 3, Blue Jackets 4 OT - 1:27Apr 8 9:44 PM
- PHOENIX: 3
End of Regulation
Apr 8 9:38 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Oliver Ekman-Larsson (15), at 19:45.
Coyotes 3, Blue Jackets 3 3rd - 0:15Apr 8 9:38 PM
- Columbus Goal - Blake Comeau, at 13:42.
Coyotes 2, Blue Jackets 3 3rd - 6:18Apr 8 9:24 PM
- PHOENIX: 2
End of 2nd
Apr 8 8:41 PM
- Columbus Goal - Mark Letestu, at 5:25.
Coyotes 2, Blue Jackets 2 2nd - 14:35Apr 8 8:12 PM
- PHOENIX: 2
End of 1st
Apr 8 7:46 PM
- PHOENIX: 2
1st Period - 2:07
Coyotes 2, Blue Jackets 1 1st - 2:07Apr 8 7:42 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Martin Erat (3), at 13:32.
Coyotes 1, Blue Jackets 1 1st - 6:28Apr 8 7:36 PM
- Columbus Goal - Boone Jenner (15), from Nathan Horton and Ryan Johansen at 8:15.
Coyotes 0, Blue Jackets 1 1st - 11:45Apr 8 7:24 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 8 7:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- Predators feeling pain of team's best run coming up short May 13
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- Blackhawks positioned for more success next season Apr 26
- Hockey sticks no longer one size fits all Apr 21
- Phoenix mayor wants shared arena for Suns, Coyotes Apr 19