Nyquist scores twice as Red Wings beat LeafsMar 19, 2014 - 3:28 AM Detroit, MI (SportsNetwork.com) - Gustav Nyquist scored a pair of goals to lead the Detroit Red Wings to a 3-2 win over the Toronto Maple Leafs in an Original Six clash.
Daniel Alfredsson also scored and Jimmy Howard stopped 31 of the 33 shots he faced for the Red Wings, who have won two of their last three games.
"It's a division rival, big game for us, big win for us. We'll enjoy this for a few hours and then back to work tomorrow," Alfredsson said.
Jake Gardiner and James van Riemsdyk had a goal apiece for the Maple Leafs, losers in three of their last four tilts. James Reimer allowed all three goals on 31 shots.
"It was average. There was some good and bad throughout the five games," Maple Leafs forward Nazem Kadri said of the team's five-game road trip.
Nyquist's second goal of the game made it 2-0 just 2:06 into the final period. He threw the puck off the boards on the right side around a defender before picking it back up in the Leafs' zone, then skated in and fired a snap shot into the back of the net.
Gardiner cut Toronto's deficit in half with his power-play goal at 8:24 of the third. Morgan Rielly launched a shot wide of the net from near center ice, but Gardiner beat everyone to the disc and wristed it past Howard from point- blank range.
Moments later, Kadri appeared to tie the game with another power-play goal, but upon further review it was determined that Kadri had kicked the puck in and the goal was waved off.
Alfredsson made it 3-1 with his 15th goal of the season with 2:33 left. David Legwand skated in along the left side and threaded a pass under a defender's stick and right to Alfredsson, who blasted the disc past Reimer.
The Maple Leafs made it interesting late, as van Riemsdyk redirected a Dion Phaneuf shot from the point to make it 3-2 with 1:13 left. However, Howard stood strong the rest of the way to seal the win.
Toronto did had a final chance, as van Riemsdyk had a clear look off a faceoff in the closing seconds, but Howard stopped the shot with 3.7 seconds left. The Maple Leafs couldn't get another shot off before the final horn.
Nyquist snuck one through at 12:50 of the first period to open the scoring. After splitting a pair of defenders near the blue line, he rushed in, faked a shot to the left before pulling back and backhanding one into Reimer. It had appeared Reimer made the save, but the puck trickled past and just crossed the line.
The Wings are 4-0-1 over their last five games in Motown ... Alfredsson has 74 points in 83 career games against the Leafs ... Detroit will host Pittsburgh on Thursday before opening a home-and-home series with Minnesota on Saturday ... Toronto fell to 14-15-7 on the road this season ... The Maple Leafs, who play seven of their next nine games at home, host the Tampa Bay Lightning on Wednesday.
- TORONTO: 2
Mar 18 10:14 PM
- Toronto Goal - James van Riemsdyk (27), at 18:47.
Maple Leafs 2, Red Wings 3 3rd - 1:13Mar 18 10:08 PM
- Detroit Goal - Daniel Alfredsson (15), from David Legwand at 17:27.
Maple Leafs 1, Red Wings 3 3rd - 2:33Mar 18 10:04 PM
- Morgan Rielly tip-in shot on Jimmy Howard.
Maple Leafs 1, Red Wings 2 3rd - 9:09Mar 18 9:51 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Nazem Kadri (18), from Mason Raymond at 10:32.
Maple Leafs 2, Red Wings 2 3rd - 9:28Mar 18 9:49 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Jake Gardiner (9), at 8:24.
Maple Leafs 1, Red Wings 2 3rd - 11:36Mar 18 9:44 PM
- Detroit Goal - Gustav Nyquist (19), at 2:06.
Maple Leafs 0, Red Wings 2 3rd - 17:54Mar 18 9:32 PM
- TORONTO: 0
End of 2nd
Mar 18 9:11 PM
- TORONTO: 0
End of 1st
Mar 18 8:13 PM
- Detroit Goal - Gustav Nyquist (18), at 12:50.
Maple Leafs 0, Red Wings 1 1st - 7:10Mar 18 7:57 PM
- TORONTO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 18 7:38 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25