Habs blow big lead, recover to down WingsApr 6, 2014 - 3:13 AM
Captain Brian Gionta, playing in his 300th game with the Canadiens, scored two goals, including the go-ahead tally with 6:47 remaining.
Montreal, which has won seven of its last eight games, strengthened its grip on home ice in the first round of the playoffs. The Habs are four points clear of Tampa Bay for second place in the Atlantic Division after the Lightning lost to Dallas on Saturday.
The Red Wings' winning streak was snapped at four games, but they still have a three-point lead over Columbus for the first wild-card spot in the Eastern Conference.
Detroit's power play keyed the rally.
Pavel Datsyuk scored on a man advantage at 5:11, collecting a carom off the end boards and beating Montreal goalie Carey Price.
Luke Glendening scored his first NHL goal 36 seconds later. Justin Abdelkader sent a pass around sliding Montreal defenseman P.K. Subban and Glendening, who signed a three-year contract extension before the game, scored on a backhander.
A Niklas Kronwall blast from the point on another Detroit power play tied the game at 10:44.
Despite squandering the sizeable lead, Gionta liked how his team reacted.
"We let them get back in the game, but we showed a lot of poise sticking with it and not being rattled by their three goals," he said.
Gionta put the Canadiens back on top with shot from the left circle that deflected in off a Detroit player.
Less than 2 1/2 minutes later, Tomas Plekanec fired a shot that went in off teammate Alex Galchenyuk, who was in the crease. A video review upheld the goal that was scored with 4:20 to play.
"The puck went in our net way too often. Obviously, you can't give up five on the road and expect to win," said Detroit head coach Mike Babcock.
Michael Bournival opened the scoring after a perfectly timed line change. The Montreal forward came off the bench and immediately took the puck away from a Detroit player in the neutral zone, triggering a counter rush.
Ryan White handled a pass from Bournival and got a shot on net while driving hard to the crease. Red Wings goalie Jonas Gustavsson made a left pad save, but Bournival potted the rebound at 14:16 of the first period.
The Canadiens extended their lead in the second period.
Max Pacioretty scored his 39th goal of the season, outracing a Detroit player to a loose puck and beating Gustavsson on a breakaway at 8:52.
Montreal went up 3-0 when a Jarred Tinordi shot sailed wide of the net and was tipped out front to Gionta, who one-timed the puck past Gustavsson at 13:35.
Price made 34 saves ... Gustavsson stopped 21-of-26 shots ... Tinordi and Lars Eller each had two assists for Montreal.
- DETROIT: 3
Apr 5 9:48 PM
- Montreal Goal - Alex Galchenyuk (13), at 15:40.
Red Wings 3, Canadiens 5 3rd - 4:20Apr 5 9:43 PM
- Montreal Goal - Rene Bourque, at 13:13.
Red Wings 3, Canadiens 4 3rd - 6:47Apr 5 9:36 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Niklas Kronwall (8), at 10:44.
Red Wings 3, Canadiens 3 3rd - 9:16Apr 5 9:29 PM
- Detroit Goal - Luke Glendening, at 5:46.
Red Wings 2, Canadiens 3 3rd - 14:14Apr 5 9:19 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Pavel Datsyuk (16), at 5:11.
Red Wings 1, Canadiens 3 3rd - 14:49Apr 5 9:18 PM
- DETROIT: 0
End of 2nd
Apr 5 8:52 PM
- Montreal Goal - Brian Gionta (16), at 13:35.
Red Wings 0, Canadiens 3 2nd - 6:25Apr 5 8:38 PM
- Montreal Goal - Max Pacioretty (39), at 8:52.
Red Wings 0, Canadiens 2 2nd - 11:08Apr 5 8:27 PM
- DETROIT: 0
End of 1st
Apr 5 7:55 PM
- Montreal Goal - Michael Bournival (7), from Ryan White at 14:16.
Red Wings 0, Canadiens 1 1st - 5:44Apr 5 7:44 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 5 7:18 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 25
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 24