Pavelski scores 3 as Sharks top OilersMar 26, 2014 - 4:46 AM
David Perron gave Edmonton a 1-0 lead 4:11 into the contest, but the Sharks scored three times in the second, starting with Pavelski's power-play marker at 6:28, before the San Jose center scored two more times in the third to stake his squad to a four-goal cushion.
"We settled in and we did some good things," San Jose head coach Todd McLellan said of his team responding after going down by a goal. "Everyone contributed. It was good to see guys dig in and find a way to win."
Patrick Marleau recorded a goal and an assist, while Marty Havlat also lit the lamp for the Sharks, who snapped a two-game slide and took a four-point lead over the idle Anaheim Ducks for the top spot in the Pacific Division.
Antti Niemi backstopped the victory with 28 saves.
Taylor Hall scored Edmonton's other goal, while Ben Scrivens allowed all five goals on 34 shots for the Oilers, who have been outscored 16-4 during their current three-game losing streak.
Scrivens set an NHL record for the most saves in a regular-season shutout when he turned aside 59 shots in a 3-0 win against the Sharks on Jan. 29, but the Edmonton netminder was done in by the Sharks' potent power-play unit, which went 3-for-3 on the night.
"They got three on the power play and we didn't score one," Perron remarked. "Obviously, our special teams have to be better."
Pavelski and Marleau potted power-play goals 3:29 apart prior to the middle of the second before Havlat beat Scrivens short-side from atop the left circle with 30.3 ticks left in the stanza to give the Sharks a 3-1 lead.
With the Sharks back on the power play early in the third, Pavelski set up on the low left side and received a pass from Dan Boyle before wheeling around and roofing the puck over Scrivens for a 4-1 lead at 1:17.
Pavelski capped his hat trick at the 13-minute mark when he rifled a one-timer from the slot past Scrivens stick-side.
Hall swept home a rebound with 5:04 left to account for the final margin.
Perron opened the scoring just over four minutes in when he held off a defender in the left circle before beating Niemi with a quick shot for a 1-0 lead.
Scrivens had stopped 78 straight San Jose shots prior to Pavelski's first goal ... Edmonton fell to 5-33-3 when trailing after two periods, while San Jose improved to 34-2-2 when leading after two ... San Jose's Joe Thornton tallied two assists and now has 49 points in 44 career games against Edmonton ... Niemi improved to 8-1-1 lifetime against the Oilers ... Perron notched his team-leading 26th goal and set a new career high with his 51st point.
- SAN JOSE: 5
Mar 26 12:06 AM
- Edmonton Goal - Taylor Hall, at 14:56.
Sharks 5, Oilers 2 3rd - 5:04Mar 25 11:54 PM
- San Jose Goal - Joe Pavelski (37), at 13:00.
Sharks 5, Oilers 1 3rd - 7:00Mar 25 11:50 PM
- San Jose Power-Play Goal - Joe Pavelski (36), from Dan Boyle and Brent Burns at 1:17.
Sharks 4, Oilers 1 3rd - 18:43Mar 25 11:33 PM
- SAN JOSE: 3
End of 2nd
Mar 25 11:12 PM
- San Jose Goal - Marty Havlat (9), at 19:29.
Sharks 3, Oilers 1 2nd - 0:31Mar 25 11:11 PM
- San Jose Goal - Patrick Marleau, at 9:57.
Sharks 2, Oilers 1 2nd - 10:03Mar 25 10:53 PM
- Marty Havlat wrist shot on Ben Scrivens.
Sharks 1, Oilers 1 2nd - 11:33Mar 25 10:50 PM
- Joe Pavelski wrist shot on Ben Scrivens.
Sharks 0, Oilers 1 2nd - 13:32Mar 25 10:46 PM
- San Jose Goal - Joe Pavelski (35), from Patrick Marleau and Joe Thornton at 6:28.
Sharks 1, Oilers 1 2nd - 13:32Mar 25 10:46 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
End of 1st
Mar 25 10:16 PM
- Edmonton Goal - David Perron (26), from Taylor Hall at 4:11.
Sharks 0, Oilers 1 1st - 15:49Mar 25 9:48 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 25 9:42 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 18