Talbot, Rangers blank OilersMar 31, 2014 - 4:37 AM
New York is now two points ahead of Philadelphia for second place in the Metropolitan Division, as the Flyers dropped a shootout decision to Boston earlier on Sunday. However, Philadelphia does have two games in hand on New York.
Mats Zuccarello had two goals and an assist, while Rick Nash scored twice and Derrick Brassard also scored for the Rangers, who have won six of their last seven.
"On some nights you need some bounces and we got a couple tonight," Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault said.
Ben Scrivens allowed all five goals for the Oilers, who have lost four of five.
"We have to find a way to manufacture some offense and it's something that we're going to have to look into this summer as we add and subtract," Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins said.
New York scored with 3:30 left in the first period as Anton Stralman threw a shot on net from the high slot that Zuccarello tipped in for a 1-0 lead.
It was a 2-0 game at 4:38 of the second, as the Rangers scored on the power play when Brassard threw the puck towards the slot from the right boards, but it took a bounce off an Edmonton stick and sailed into the net.
Nash scored his first of the game at 9:07 of the second when he banked the puck in from the right side of the net, and added a shorthander four minutes later as he finished off a shorthanded break with a wrister from the left side.
It was another shorthanded goal for the Rangers at 3:49 as Zuccarello took a pass from Derek Stepan in the slot and flung it in for his 17th of the season.
Talbot finished off the shutout with 10 saves in the third period.
It's the fourth straight 40-loss season for the Oilers, who have allowed a league-high 13 shorthanded goals this season ... Edmonton has been shut out nine times this season, while New York has posted eight shutouts ... The Rangers plays in Vancouver on Tuesday ... Edmonton plays at San Jose on Tuesday.
- NEW YORK: 5
Mar 30 10:37 PM
- NY Rangers Short-Handed Goal - Mats Zuccarello (17), from Derek Stepan and Marc Staal at 3:49.
Rangers 5, Oilers 0 3rd - 16:11Mar 30 10:09 PM
- NEW YORK: 4
End of 2nd
Mar 30 9:44 PM
- NY Rangers Short-Handed Goal - Rick Nash (25), at 13:26.
Rangers 4, Oilers 0 2nd - 6:34Mar 30 9:33 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Rick Nash (24), at 9:07.
Rangers 3, Oilers 0 2nd - 10:53Mar 30 9:23 PM
- NY Rangers Power-Play Goal - Derick Brassard (18), at 4:38.
Rangers 2, Oilers 0 2nd - 15:22Mar 30 9:14 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Mar 30 8:47 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Mats Zuccarello (16), from Anton Stralman at 16:30.
Rangers 1, Oilers 0 1st - 3:30Mar 30 8:40 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 30 8:12 PM
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1