Stamkos scores as Lightning edge PanthersMar 14, 2014 - 4:55 AM
Stamkos had a goal and an assist, while Sami Salo, Tyler Johnson, Michael Kostka and Ryan Callahan also scored for the Lightning, who snapped a five- game slide. Valtteri Filppula gave three assists while Ben Bishop stopped 23 shots.
Brandon Pirri had a goal and an assist while Tomas Fleischmann, Scottie Upshall and Quinton Howden all scored for the Panthers, who have lost their past three. Dan Ellis made 23 saves in defeat.
"We responded. I thought it was really good energy coming out," said Florida head coach Peter Horachek. "We didn't quit. We just kept pushing. We kept getting some great chances in the second period and we had some chances in the third period and their goalie played well."
Stamkos' goal came at 10:47 of the third while on the power play as Filppula sent a sharp pass from the left point to the right circle where Stamkos one- timed it home for a 5-2 lead.
Florida tried to make a late comeback, as Upshall scored on a 2-on-1 with 1:05 to play, and Pirri got the puck home with 26.5 seconds showing on the clock to make it a 5-4 contest.
The Panthers, though, were unable to get any more chances before the clock ran out.
"For 59 minutes I think we stuck to the game plan," said Stamkos. "We could have easily put our tail between our legs after they scored those two quick goals, but that's one thing we talked about, no matter what happens in the game, let's stay on it. We did and I thought we deserved the win today."
Florida drew first blood at 1:44 of the game on the power play when Fleischmann tapped home a Dmitry Kulikov pass, but the Lightning answered four minutes later off a left circle faceoff win that saw Salo blast it home.
It took all of 12 seconds for the Panthers to get the lead back as Howden's quick shot from the left side fooled Bishop.
The Lightning tied the game again at 8:18 of the first when Kostka took a feed in the high slot and blasted it home.
Callahan finished off a crisp passing play with Filppula and Ondrej Palat at 12:04 of the second period to give Tampa the lead, and it was 4-2 when a strong forecheck saw Johnson finish it off for his 21st of the year at 18:53.
Tampa hosts New Jersey on Saturday ... Florida hosts New Jersey on Friday ... The Lightning won all four games against the Panthers this season for their first series sweep against Florida ... Florida went 1-for-2 on the power play and Tampa was 1-for-4.
- FLORIDA: 4
TAMPA BAY: 5
Mar 13 9:56 PM
- Florida Goal - Brandon Pirri (8), from Alex Petrovic and Brian Campbell at 19:33.
Panthers 4, Lightning 5 3rd - 0:27Mar 13 9:55 PM
- Florida Goal - Scottie Upshall, at 18:55.
Panthers 3, Lightning 5 3rd - 1:05Mar 13 9:54 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Steven Stamkos (15), at 10:47.
Panthers 2, Lightning 5 3rd - 9:13Mar 13 9:40 PM
- FLORIDA: 2
TAMPA BAY: 4
End of 2nd
Mar 13 9:08 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Tyler Johnson, at 18:53.
Panthers 2, Lightning 4 2nd - 1:07Mar 13 9:04 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Ryan Callahan (12), from Ondrej Palat at 12:04.
Panthers 2, Lightning 3 2nd - 7:56Mar 13 8:54 PM
- FLORIDA: 2
TAMPA BAY: 2
End of 1st
Mar 13 8:17 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Michael Kostka (3), from Teddy Purcell at 8:18.
Panthers 2, Lightning 2 1st - 11:42Mar 13 7:58 PM
- Florida Goal - Quinton Howden, at 5:50.
Panthers 2, Lightning 1 1st - 14:10Mar 13 7:51 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Sami Salo (3), from Valtteri Filppula at 5:38.
Panthers 1, Lightning 1 1st - 14:22Mar 13 7:49 PM
- Florida Power-Play Goal - Tomas Fleischmann (7), at 1:44.
Panthers 1, Lightning 0 1st - 18:16Mar 13 7:43 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 13 7:39 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17