Quick passes Vachon as Kings shut down PanthersMar 22, 2014 - 11:20 PM Los Angeles, CA (SportsNetwork.com) - Jonathan Quick made 24 saves to set a new franchise record for victories, as the Los Angeles Kings cruised to a 4-0 shutout over the Florida Panthers on Saturday.
Quick emerged with his 172nd career win, one better than Rogie Vachon, who was in attendance to watch his milestone which lasted almost four decades fall.
The 68-year-old Quebec native earned 171 wins while backstopping the club from 1971-78.
"It takes 20 guys to win a game. Goalies are always kind of nominated to receive most of the celebration as far as wins and shutouts go, but it's a group effort," said Quick. "It crosses your mind a little bit. It's the type of situation where you're caught in the moment."
Trevor Lewis contributed a goal and an assist for the Kings, who have taken two in a row and 10 of their last 13 overall. Mike Richards, Dustin Brown, and Alec Martinez also scored.
Roberto Luongo allowed all four goals on 25 shots in the loss, as the Panthers suffered their sixth defeat in eight outings.
"They are a big, physical team, they play well, they play strong, and they have four strong lines," Florida head coach Peter Horachek said. "I think we need to do better, the mistakes that we made were in the zone, the way we handled those, we gave them two and we did not capitalize on any other opportunities that we had."
The Kings opened the scoring 11:03 into the first. Willie Mitchell fired a shot from the point that went off Kyle Clifford in front of the net and Lewis was there to find the puck and put home the rebound.
It was 2-0 for the hosts after one. Drew Doughty sent a pass in transition to Lewis up the right side, then Richards took a pass from Lewis and stickhandled his way in from the boards and on net to slip a shot through the pads of Luongo with 2:44 left in the opening stanza.
Florida had a chance to get on the board earlier in the second. Tomas Fleischmann backhanded the puck on net and Quick flashed out his glove to rob the Panthers forward while leaning backwards. The play was reviewed to see if the Los Angeles netminder grabbed the puck past the goal line, but the original on-ice call was upheld.
Later in the frame, Jarrett Stoll's shot rang off the post, but the puck went straight to Brown, who deposited the rebound into a wide-open net to put the Kings up 3-0 with almost nine minutes gone in the second.
Martinez made it 4-0 on the power play after he moved up to the left circle and sniped a wrister over the shoulder of Luongo with 8:01 to go in the third.
Quick turned aside eight shots in the third, the same number in each of the first two periods, to secure his fifth shutout of the season.
Brown sustained an upper-body injury and did not return for the third period ... Quick earned his 30th career shutout and trails Vachon by two for the franchise lead ... The Kings blanked opponents on 11 occasions this season (five from Quick, three each by Martin Jones and Ben Scrivens) which ties the club record that was set in 2011-12 ... The Kings have won nine of the last 10 meetings with the Panthers.
- FLORIDA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 4
Mar 22 6:31 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Alec Martinez, at 11:59.
Panthers 0, Kings 4 3rd - 8:01Mar 22 6:18 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 3
End of 2nd
Mar 22 5:39 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Dustin Brown (13), from Jarret Stoll at 8:54.
Panthers 0, Kings 3 2nd - 11:06Mar 22 5:21 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 2
End of 1st
Mar 22 4:46 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Mike Richards (10), from Trevor Lewis at 17:16.
Panthers 0, Kings 2 1st - 2:44Mar 22 4:42 PM
- Willie Mitchell wrist shot on Roberto Luongo.
Panthers 0, Kings 1 1st - 8:57Mar 22 4:27 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 22 4:09 PM
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Kings agree with coach Darryl Sutter on contract extension May 13
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Capitals get playoff payoff from Williams against Penguins May 8
- Kings GM: Coach Darryl Sutter has contract offer to return May 6
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 3
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1