Isles blank HabsApr 11, 2014 - 3:34 AM
Ryan Strome and Brock Nelson scored for the Islanders, who snapped a three- game skid.
"If you look at successful teams, they don't do much in the defensive zone, it's get it in, get it out and simple plays," Nabokov said. "That's exactly what we did today."
Carey Price turned aside 28-of-30 shots for the Canadiens, who failed to lock up the No. 2 seed in the Atlantic Division. Montreal now leads the Lightning by just one point for the second spot in the division. Tampa Bay beat the Flyers on Thursday.
"It was a bad performance from our team. We didn't play a good game," Canadiens coach Michel Therrien said.
New York got on the board at the 15:05 mark of the middle stanza. Strome's slap shot from the top of the right circle hit off the post, bounced off the camera inside the net and came out. The power-play goal was confirmed following a video review.
Nelson made it 2-0 with 19.8 seconds left in the second when he fired a shot from the left circle that beat Price.
Nabokov made five saves in the third period to secure the 59th shutout of his career.
Montreal took two of three from the Islanders this season ... Canadiens forward Alex Galchenyuk (lower body) missed the game ... New York forward Johan Sundstrom left the game at 10:52 of the second period after being checked into the boards by Canadiens defenseman Douglas Murray, who was playing his first game after serving a three-game suspension. Murray was given a major penalty for checking from behind and a game misconduct ... The Canadiens play their final game of the regular season Saturday at home against the New York Rangers ... The Islanders will visit New Jersey on Friday before ending the campaign Sunday in Buffalo.
- NEW YORK: 2
Apr 10 10:10 PM
- NEW YORK: 2
End of 2nd
Apr 10 9:14 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Brock Nelson, from Thomas Hickey at 19:40.
Islanders 2, Canadiens 0 2nd - 0:20Apr 10 9:13 PM
- NY Islanders Power-Play Goal - Ryan Strome (6), from Matt Donovan at 15:07.
Islanders 1, Canadiens 0 2nd - 4:53Apr 10 9:06 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Apr 10 8:16 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 10 7:41 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7