Isles score 7 in 3rd, top CanucksMar 11, 2014 - 6:59 AM
Cal Clutterbuck, Matt Martin, Ryan Strome and Calvin de Haan each scored in the final frame for the Islanders, who had dropped four of five coming in. Evgeni Nabokov gave up four goals on 24 shots in the win.
Chris Higgins, Christopher Tanev, Ryan Kesler and Henrik Sedin all scored for the Canucks, who have lost five of their last six games. Eddie Lack gave up six goals on 27 shots in the collapse.
"We should have had this game," said Sedin. "We played great hockey for 37 minutes but then we started making poor decisions. We should have been back in the race but now we're down and looking up."
The Islanders trailed, 3-0, entering the third period, but were skating on a power play and got one in as Bailey wristed the puck in from the right circle at 1:13.
A pair of penalties to Vancouver saw New York skating 5-on-3 and the team quickly made it a 3-2 game as passing around the horn was finished off on a one-timer by Strome at the low left side at 3:14.
Still on the advantage, the Isles tied the game 22 seconds later when de Haan's shot from the left point was knicked by a defender and sailed past Lack.
New York then took its first lead of the game three minutes later when Kyle Okposo's shot from the slot hit off Lee and went to Nielsen, who put it in for his 20th of the season.
Vancouver tied the game at 9:54 as a long wrist shot from the right point by Tanev went in, but New York took the lead back just 10 seconds later as Lack stopped a dump-in behind his net where Colin McDonald picked up the puck and centered it for a one-timer by Martin.
The Islanders got an insurance goal less than two minutes later as a 2-on-1 break saw Lack make two nice saves, but the third chance went in as Lee wristed it home from the left circle.
Clutterbuck scored with the net empty inside the final minute to seal the victory.
"It does feel good to put seven on the board and come back in the fashion that we did," said Islanders defenseman Travis Hamonic.
New York tied a team record for most goals in a period, matching a mark set in 1978 against the Rangers, while Vancouver also matched a record for goals allowed in a period, which it had allowed two other times, both to Edmonton.
Higgins scored on the power play at 15:46 of the first period to get Vancouver on the board, while Sedin and Kesler added markers four minutes apart in the second, with Kesler's coming on the power play, for a 3-0 lead.
Vancouver hits the road for four games starting in Winnipeg on Wednesday ... New York, which went 2-1-1 on a four-game road trip, plays at home on Friday against San Jose ... New York went 3-for-7 on the power play and Vancouver finished the game 2-for-4 ... Sedin broke a 23-game goalless drought.
- NEW YORK: 7
Mar 11 12:38 AM
- NY Islanders Goal - Cal Clutterbuck (8), from Josh Bailey and Travis Hamonic at 19:42.
Islanders 7, Canucks 4 3rd - 0:18Mar 11 12:37 AM
- NY Islanders Goal - Anders Lee, at 11:45.
Islanders 6, Canucks 4 3rd - 8:15Mar 11 12:20 AM
- NY Islanders Goal - Matt Martin, at 10:04.
Islanders 5, Canucks 4 3rd - 9:56Mar 11 12:16 AM
- Vancouver Goal - Christopher Tanev (6), at 9:54.
Islanders 4, Canucks 4 3rd - 10:06Mar 11 12:14 AM
- NY Islanders Goal - Frans Nielsen (20), from Anders Lee and Kyle Okposo at 6:22.
Islanders 4, Canucks 3 3rd - 13:38Mar 11 12:08 AM
- NY Islanders Goal - Calvin de Haan, at 3:36.
Islanders 3, Canucks 3 3rd - 16:24Mar 11 12:03 AM
- NY Islanders Power-Play Goal - Ryan Strome (3), from Kyle Okposo and Lubomir Visnovsky at 3:14.
Islanders 2, Canucks 3 3rd - 16:46Mar 11 12:02 AM
- NY Islanders Goal - Josh Bailey, from Matt Donovan at 1:13.
Islanders 1, Canucks 3 3rd - 18:47Mar 10 11:56 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 2nd
Mar 10 11:36 PM
- Vancouver Power-Play Goal - Ryan Kesler (22), from Alex Burrows and Kevin Bieksa at 8:53.
Islanders 0, Canucks 3 2nd - 11:07Mar 10 11:14 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Henrik Sedin (10), from Nicklas Jensen and Tom Sestito at 4:52.
Islanders 0, Canucks 2 2nd - 15:08Mar 10 11:06 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Mar 10 10:40 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Chris Higgins, at 15:46.
Islanders 0, Canucks 1 1st - 4:14Mar 10 10:33 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 10 10:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7
- Garrison's OT goal lifts Lightning to 2-1 win over Islanders May 7
- Islanders look for win amid improved play against Lightning May 6