Neal's OT marker lifts Pengiuns past LightningMar 22, 2014 - 9:58 PM
Evgeni Malkin scored twice in the final 8:53 of regulation and added two assists, including one on the deciding goal. With the Penguins on a 4-on-3 advantage in the extra frame thanks to a too many men on the ice penalty, Malkin sent a pass down to Neal in the right circle, and Neal beat Anders Lindback with a one-timer to the far side.
"It's extremely frustrating with how it ended up," Lightning head coach Jon Cooper said, referencing the bad break his team caught with the penalty. "If that puck bounces one way, it doesn't happen."
The Penguins converted on 3-of-6 power-play chances and have now beaten the Lightning nine straight times. Jeff Zatkoff made 21 saves, and Sidney Crosby recorded a goal and two assists for the Metropolitan Division leaders.
Tampa Bay's Ondrej Palat scored with 1:22 left in regulation to force overtime, while Steven Stamkos had a goal and assisted on Valtteri Filppula's second-period tally.
Lindback gave up four goals on 29 shots as the Lightning had their five-game winning streak snapped.
Each team scored on the power play in the second period, with Crosby finding the back of the net off a one-timer from Malkin at 5:29 and Filppula sneaking one inside the goal post off a cross-ice feed from Stamkos at the 16:44 mark.
Tampa Bay took its first lead 8:17 into the third when Stamkos crashed the net and stuffed in a loose puck under Zatkoff's pads.
The lead lasted all of 2:50, as Malkin chipped in a rebound at a sharp angle on the man advantage.
Malkin gave the Penguins a short-lived lead with 3:17 left in the third as Jussi Jokinen intercepted a pass at the blue line and fed the uncovered star forward in front of the net. Malkin steadied the puck on its edge, and with his back turned towards Lindback, backhanded one over the goaltender's left shoulder and into the right corner.
"He...just dominated the whole night," Crosby said of Malkin. "It's fun to see your teammates play like that and get rewarded."
Palat single-handedly forced overtime when he skated into the offensive zone, split a pair of defenders, avoided Zatkoff's poke check and scored on a wrister with 82 seconds showing.
Zatkoff earned his first career NHL assist on Crosby's goal ... Filppula has an eight-game point streak and surpassed his career-high goal total (24) previously set in the 2011-12 campaign for Detroit ... Tampa Bay last beat the Penguins on Nov. 17, 2011.
- TAMPA BAY: 3
Final - OT
Mar 22 3:38 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - James Neal (23), at 1:27.
Lightning 3, Penguins 4 OT - 3:33Mar 22 3:38 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 3
End of Regulation
Mar 22 3:35 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Ondrej Palat (19), at 18:38.
Lightning 3, Penguins 3 3rd - 1:22Mar 22 3:31 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Evgeni Malkin (23), from Jussi Jokinen at 16:43.
Lightning 2, Penguins 3 3rd - 3:17Mar 22 3:26 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - Evgeni Malkin (22), at 11:07.
Lightning 2, Penguins 2 3rd - 8:53Mar 22 3:18 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Steven Stamkos (20), from Alex Killorn at 8:17.
Lightning 2, Penguins 1 3rd - 11:43Mar 22 3:12 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 22 2:40 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Valtteri Filppula (24), from Steven Stamkos and Victor Hedman at 16:44.
Lightning 1, Penguins 1 2nd - 3:16Mar 22 2:35 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - Sidney Crosby (34), from Evgeni Malkin and Matt Niskanen at 5:29.
Lightning 0, Penguins 1 2nd - 14:31Mar 22 2:10 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 1st
Mar 22 1:41 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 22 1:08 PM
- Cody Can't wait for this game. Its been a few months since Ive been down rink-side. Can't wait to go and watch Tampa and the Pens duke it out. I also am excited to see my all time favorite hockey player, Ryan Malone #12, back in the Burg!!! Missed him so much. Met him on my birthday once and he gave me a hockey puck and told me Happy Birthday!
Lightning vs. PenguinsMar 19 8:28 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17