Penguins clinch Metropolitan, then down JetsApr 4, 2014 - 3:46 AM
As a bit of icing on the cake, they won the game, too.
Beau Bennett, Craig Adams, Paul Martin and Brian Gibbons scored as the Penguins beat the Jets, 4-2, for their third win in four games.
Marc-Andre Fleury had 13 saves and the Penguins scored three unanswered goals to end the game. They wrapped up the division title when Columbus beat Philadelphia in a game that started an hour earlier.
"We didn't give up a lot and I certainly liked that about our team," Pittsburgh head coach Dan Bylsma stated. "The defensive side of the puck we were real good."
The Penguins have won four in a row against the Jets and 19 of the last 22 meetings between the franchises.
Olli Jokinen and Zach Redmond scored for the Jets, while Ondrej Pavelec gave up four goals on 21 shots.
"We missed the net 18 times. That, to me, was the difference," Winnipeg head coach Paul Maurice said. "We didn't get enough pucks to the net or on the net and create some of the chaos that we needed to create."
Adams tied the game at 2-2 on a one-timer from the right circle with 1:13 left in the second period, and Martin and Gibbons sealed the win with goals in the third period.
Martin's power-play goal also came on a one-timer, this one in the slot 7:42 into the third period. Gibbons beat Pavelec with a wrister around nine minutes later.
Sidney Crosby had two assists, the first one on Bennett's goal 12:44 into the game. The Blue Jackets took a 2-1 lead in the first 9:42 of the second period on goals by Jokinen and Redmond less than seven minutes apart.
The Penguins continue a three-game road trip Saturday at Minnesota ... The Jets play at Toronto on Saturday.
- PITTSBURGH: 4
Apr 3 10:30 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 4
3rd Period - 3:36
Penguins 4, Jets 2 3rd - 3:36Apr 3 10:22 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - Paul Martin (3), at 7:42.
Penguins 3, Jets 2 3rd - 12:18Apr 3 10:04 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 2
End of 2nd
Apr 3 9:33 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Craig Adams, at 18:47.
Penguins 2, Jets 2 2nd - 1:13Apr 3 9:31 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Zach Redmond, at 9:42.
Penguins 1, Jets 2 2nd - 10:18Apr 3 9:15 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Olli Jokinen (17), at 2:52.
Penguins 1, Jets 1 2nd - 17:08Apr 3 9:04 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 1
End of 1st
Apr 3 8:42 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal at 12:43.
Penguins 1, Jets 0 1st - 7:17Apr 3 8:27 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 3 8:09 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17