Enstrom's late goal helps Jets shoot down SharksMar 28, 2014 - 6:16 AM San Jose, CA (SportsNetwork.com) - Tobias Enstrom scored the winner with 3:36 to play to help the Winnipeg Jets to a 4-3 win over the San Jose Sharks on Thursday.
Blake Wheeler had a goal and two assists while Andrew Ladd and Dustin Byfuglien also scored for the Jets, who had lost nine of 11 coming into the game. Al Montoya stopped 27 shots in the win.
"We just tried to make one more play than they did and it worked out for us," Wheeler said.
Dan Boyle, Logan Couture and Brent Burns scored for the Sharks, who have dropped four of their last six, but still hold a two-point lead over Anaheim for the top spot in the Pacific Division. Antti Niemi turned away 27 shots.
"We've got to win them all because I don't anticipate Los Angeles or Anaheim losing any games," said San Jose head coach Todd McLellan. "We've had a tough stretch here but we still have a lead, so we just have to take care of our own business."
A pair of penalties to San Jose, including a delay of game call on Couture for throwing the puck over the glass, gave Winnipeg a 5-on-3, but it was only for 10 seconds.
However, the team still had plenty of time left on the 5-on-4 and used it to take a 4-3 lead.
Bryan Little held the puck at the right circle and sent it down low for Wheeler, who charged to the net and flicked a pass over to the left wing where Enstrom one-timed it home.
San Jose pulled Niemi with just over a minute to play for a 6-on-5, but was unable to get any pressure and the Jets came away with the road win.
San Jose scored just 1:57 in when Boyle redirected a shot from James Sheppard, but Winnipeg answered 36 seconds later when Ladd jammed home a Michael Frolik rebound.
The Sharks, though, took a 2-1 lead on the power play with 5:33 to play in the first on Burns' backhander from the slot, his 21st goal of the year.
Winnipeg tied the game at 1:55 of the second as Wheeler's bad angle shot from the right side fooled Niemi, and the Jets took a 3-2 lead at 9:32 on the power play as Wheeler's pass from the right circle to the left was one-timed in by Byfuglien.
San Jose tied the game two minutes later on the power play as a Sheppard one- timer from the slot hit off Couture and went in.
Winnipeg plays in Los Angeles on Saturday ... San Jose plays in Colorado on Saturday ... Winnipeg won two of the three games against San Jose this season ... San Jose was 2-for-4 on the power play while Winnipeg was 2-for-5 ... San Jose center Joe Thornton played in his 1,200th game.
- WINNIPEG: 4
SAN JOSE: 3
Mar 28 1:02 AM
- Winnipeg Power-Play Goal - Tobias Enstrom (9), from Blake Wheeler at 16:24.
Jets 4, Sharks 3 3rd - 3:36Mar 28 12:57 AM
- WINNIPEG: 3
SAN JOSE: 3
End of 2nd
Mar 28 12:11 AM
- San Jose Power-Play Goal - Logan Couture (20), at 11:23.
Jets 3, Sharks 3 2nd - 8:37Mar 27 11:52 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Dustin Byfuglien, from Blake Wheeler at 9:32.
Jets 3, Sharks 2 2nd - 10:28Mar 27 11:48 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Blake Wheeler (25), at 1:55.
Jets 2, Sharks 2 2nd - 18:05Mar 27 11:35 PM
- San Jose Power-Play Goal - Brent Burns (21), at 14:27.
Jets 1, Sharks 2 1st - 5:33Mar 27 11:04 PM
- Jacob Trouba slap shot on Antti Niemi.
Jets 1, Sharks 1 1st - 17:05Mar 27 10:45 PM
- Andrew Ladd tip-in shot on Antti Niemi.
Jets 0, Sharks 1 1st - 17:29Mar 27 10:44 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Andrew Ladd (22), at 2:33.
Jets 1, Sharks 1 1st - 17:27Mar 27 10:43 PM
- San Jose Goal - Dan Boyle (9), from Marty Havlat and James Sheppard at 1:57.
Jets 0, Sharks 1 1st - 18:03Mar 27 10:42 PM
- WINNIPEG: 0
SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 27 10:39 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 18