Red Bull confirms Webber for 2010

Jul 23, 2009 - 1:42 PM By PAUL LOGOTHETIS AP Auto Racing Writer

BUDAPEST, Hungary(AP) -- Red Bull confirmed Thursday that Mark Webber will drive for the Formula One team in 2010, after a strong season has him third in the overall standings.

The 32-year-old Australian, who is coming off his first win after 132 races at the German Grand Prix, will partner Sebastian Vettel again next season.

"I've always enjoyed working with them so now, to come through this purple patch - which we hope will continue for a good while to come - makes the work even more enjoyable," Webber said from the Hungarian GP. "I'm looking forward to staying with the guys again next year."

Webber trails F1 leader Jenson Button of Brawn GP by 22.5 points. Vettel is second, 1.5 points ahead of his teammate. Red Bull trails Brawn GP by 19.5 points in the constructors' series with 80 points remaining.

"He has continued to show huge commitment and determination this season, especially following his bike accident at the end of last year," team principal Christian Horner said. "His results show he's on the form of his life."

Webber broken his leg among other injuries when he was hit by a car while riding a bicycle in Tasmania in November. After his victory at the Nuerburgring, he said his injuries still were not fully healed.

The former Jaguar and Williams driver debuted at the 2002 Australian Grand Prix. He joined Red Bull in 2007 and has already managed to eclipse his highest points total for a season - 36 in 2005 with Williams.

"I've had a good relationship with the team and been through some pretty tough times together," Webber said. "Another 18 months together and then we'll see what happens next."






No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!