Juninho leads Galaxy past Sounders in MLS openerMar 16, 2011 - 4:03 AM Seattle Sounders FC at Qwest Field on Tuesday.
The Galaxy won all four meetings between the two sides last season, and a wonderful strike from 25 yards off the foot of Juninho continued that run of dominance.
The best chance in a scoreless first half came from Seattle's Erik Friburg, who shot just wide of the right post from outside the penalty area with Galaxy goalkeeper Josh Saunders off his line.
But the visitors picked up their play in the second half and took the lead shortly before the hour mark as Todd Dunivant laid a pass of to Juninho, who fired a bullet of a shot on goal that goalkeeper Kasey Keller got a hand to but couldn't keep out.
Landon Donovan nearly put the result away in the 65th minute for L.A. when he fired a shot from 20 yards that struck the crossbar, while Seattle's best chance at an equalizer came in the final 20 minutes when a low cross from Steve Zakuani was redirected inches wide of the far post by O'Brian White.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
Mar 15 11:51 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 1
2nd Half - 60'
Galaxy 1, Sounders FC 0 2nd - 60'Mar 15 11:18 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Half - 1'
Mar 15 10:01 PM
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Galaxy's Zardes named Player of the Week Jun 23
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19