Revs earn draw against GalaxyMar 21, 2011 - 2:14 AM Carson, CA (Sports Network) - The New England Revolution opened its 2011 Major League Soccer campaign with a 1-1 draw against the Los Angeles Galaxy at a rain-soaked Home Depot Center on Sunday.
The Galaxy (1-0-1) opened its season on Tuesday with a 1-0 win at Seattle Sounders FC, but the hosts found themselves down a goal in the third minute courtesy of New England's Shalrie Joseph.
However, L.A. battled back for a point as Juninho scored his second goal in as many games in the 39th minute.
Joseph's opener was set up by a right-wing cross from Marko Perovic, who found the New England captain at the back post for a close-range header that beat goalkeeper Josh Saunders.
The Galaxy then had two goals taken away, the first for a foul on goalkeeper Matt Reis, and the second for offsides, but the game was level at halftime thanks to Juninho.
A poor clearance from the New England (0-0-1) defense got only as far as the Brazilian 20 yards from goal. He then took a touch and lashed a shot past Reis from just outside the area.
There were fewer chances in the second half, but Joseph had a shot hit the post 25 minutes from time, while substitute Juan Pablo Angel had the ball in the back of the net in stoppage time, but it was wiped away because he was ruled offside.
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Galaxy's Zardes named Player of the Week Jun 23
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19