Martina's brace leads TFC past PortlandMar 26, 2011 - 8:10 PM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Javier Martina scored a goal in each half to lead Toronto FC to a 2-0 win over the Portland Timbers at BMO Field on Saturday.
Martina opened the scoring 15 minutes into the game after being set up by Dwayne De Rosario, and he doubled his total 20 minutes from time to give TFC its first win of the season after losing 4-2 to Vancouver Whitecaps FC in their opening game of the season.
Portland suffered its second successive two-goal defeat to open the season, losing 3-1 at the Colorado Rapids last weekend.
The opening goal arrived when De Rosario dropped a ball back to Martina inside the penalty area and he rolled his shot inside the far post.
Maicon Santos had a shot saved early in the second half with only goalkeeper Jake Gleeson to beat. But a long clearance from goalkeeper Stefan Frei helped set up the second goal as Martina ran onto the ball and sent a half-volley over the head of Gleeson and inside the far post.
Toronto's Mikael Yourassowsky received a second yellow card for time wasting in the 84th minute, but TFC did enough to see out the game with 10 men.
- Timbers' Adi named Player of the Week Jun 30
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Villa's brace propels NYC past TFC Jun 20
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19