Seattle dominates Houston, but settles for 1-1 draw at homeMar 26, 2011 - 4:22 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - The Houston Dynamo and Seattle Sounders FC battled to a 1-1 draw in Major League Soccer action at Qwest Field on Friday night.
Geoff Cameron scored a first-half goal for Houston and Steve Zakuani answered in the second half for Seattle as both teams got their first goal and point of the young season.
Seattle (0-2-1) dominated the game early, but were unable to beat Houston goalkeeper Tally Hall, who had four saves in the first half.
Seattle's first great chance came about 15 minutes in when a give-and-go into the area led to a Brad Evans shot that was saved by Hall. Zakuani put the rebound over the goal and the game remained scoreless.
Hall had another big save in the 27th minute when an Erik Friberg cross into the area to O'Brien White was parried away.
After the Sounders dominated the first 40 minutes of the opening half, Houston was able to capitalize off a free kick taken by Lovel Palmer. Palmer struck the shot off the crossbar, and after a scramble for the rebound in the penalty area, Cameron slotted past Kasey Keller for the 1-0 advantage.
That was how the half ended, which was a bitter pill for the Sounders to swallow after out-shooting Houston 15-5.
Zakuani finally got Seattle's first goal off a corner kick in the 80th minute that deflected off a defender's knee to the attacker at the back post for an easy tap-in.
The goal snapped a 325 minute home scoreless streak for Seattle, dating back to last season. It was also the team's 43rd shot of the season.
Seattle finished the game with 26 shots, although only eight were on goal.
Houston (0-1-1) will look for its first win of the season when it travels to take on Red Bull New York on April 2, while Seattle is at San Jose the same day for its next MLS fixture.
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Neagle lifts Sounders past FCD at CenturyLink Jun 14
- West foes clash as Sounders host FCD at CenturyLink Jun 12