Chivas earns first result of season at TorontoApr 2, 2011 - 7:36 PM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Alejandro Moreno scored in the third minute and Chivas USA held on for a 1-1 draw against Toronto FC at BMO Field on Saturday in Major League Soccer.
Chivas (0-2-1) lost its first two matches of the season at home, but picked up a big road point to hand new coach Robin Fraser his first result.
Alan Gordon scored in the 36th for Toronto (1-1-1), which played well just one day after star midfielder Dwayne De Rosario was traded to Red Bull New York.
Moreno scored the opener when he ran onto a loose ball in the penalty area and beat Toronto FC goalkeeper Stefan Frei from 12 yards for his first goal of the season.
Toronto hit the woodwork midway through the half, but Gordon notched his first of the season when he headed a Jacob Peterson free kick inside the right post from close range to leave Chivas goalie Dan Kennedy no chance.
Maicon Santos had a goal called back for a questionable offside before half as Toronto nearly grabbed the lead, and missed a breakaway chance after half when Chivas' Andrew Boyens made a sliding tackle to prevent a sure goal.
Toronto visits the San Jose Earthquakes in its next match on April 9, the same day Chivas hosts the Columbus Crew in its next game.
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- Villa's brace propels NYC past TFC Jun 20
- TFC, NYC aim to continue winning ways Jun 19
- TFC's Giovinco claims second straight Player of the Week honor Jun 9
- Giovinco's brace powers TFC past DCU Jun 6
- East rivals clash as TFC battles United Jun 5
- TFC's Giovinco named MLS Player of the Week Jun 2
- Moore powers TFC past 'Quakes May 30
- 'Quakes set to battle TFC at BMO May 29