Toronto FC earns draw at San JoseApr 10, 2011 - 4:50 AM Santa Clara, CA (Sports Network) - Alan Gordon scored in his second straight match, helping Toronto FC draw the San Jose Earthquakes 1-1 on Saturday night at Buck Shaw Stadium in Major League Soccer.
Gordon scored the first goal in a 1-1 draw against Chivas USA last week at BMO Field, and handed Toronto another early lead at San Jose that helped boss Aron Winter earn his first point on the road in MLS.
Toronto (1-1-2) extended its unbeaten streak to three matches and has two ties since trading Dwayne De Rosario to Red Bull New York. TFC has not lost since a 4-2 setback at Vancouver Whitecaps FC in first week of the season.
San Jose (1-1-2) is also undefeated since opening week, when it suffered a 1-0 loss to Real Salt Lake. Simon Dawkins scored his second goal in as many games as San Joe also ran its unbeaten streak to three matches.
Toronto scored the opener when Danleigh Borman, acquired in the trade with New York, drove a cross in from the left that was deflected to Gordon. Gordon sent the ball into an empty net from close range in the 27th minute.
San Jose answered before halftime when Dawkins and Chris Wondolowski played a brilliant give-and-go on the top-left edge of the area, sending Dawkins in on TFC goalie Stefan Frei. Dawkins held off two defenders and scored to the lower right in the 38th.
Wondolowski nearly put San Jose in front after halftime, but Frei made a great save to deny last year's Golden Boot winner from 14 yards, then Ty Harden made a stop on Wondolowski's second-effort from the top of the box.
Other than two late opportunities, when Wondolowski went down but was shown a yellow card for diving and when Toronto's Javier Martina went down in the box, neither side created a great chance in the second half.
Toronto returns home to host the Los Angeles Galaxy on Wednesday, and San Jose visits Red Bull New York on April 16.
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- Villa's brace propels NYC past TFC Jun 20
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- TFC, NYC aim to continue winning ways Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- TFC's Giovinco claims second straight Player of the Week honor Jun 9
- Giovinco's brace powers TFC past DCU Jun 6
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5