Espindola's late winner lifts RSL past ColoradoApr 14, 2011 - 3:07 AM Sandy, UT (Sports Network) - Fabian Espindola scored in the final minute of stoppage time to help Real Salt Lake to a 1-0 win over the Colorado Rapids at Rio Tinto Stadium on Wednesday.
Most of the match was bogged down in midfield with neither side really taking hold of the game.
Chances were few and far between with the best opportunity for either side coming in the 37th minute when Espindola had a close-range volley kept out by a nice reaction save from Colorado goalkeeper Matt Pickens.
However, with time winding down, RSL's Jamison Olave was fouled 25 yards from goal, allowing Javier Morales to curl a free kick around the wall that struck the post and rebounded to Espindola, who fired home his first goal of the season.
With the win, Salt Lake (4-0-0) remains perfect on the season and extends its home unbeaten streak to 27 games, while Colorado (3-2-0) has lost its last two matches following a three-game winning streak to start the season.
- COLORADO: 0
REAL SALT LAKE: 1
Apr 13 10:59 PM
- COLORADO: 0
REAL SALT LAKE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 13 9:08 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18